Am I doing the right thing?

We have had my dog for a year now. I have been training her and she is great except she bit my son (2 months ago). I am a single mom of 2. My kids are 7 and 2. She just jumped up and bit my son (7) for no reason, resulting in a trip to the hospital and stitches. She's never done anything like that before. We have had trouble teaching her not to jump up, especially on my little one. I feel like we are horrible owners. I never leave her alone with my kids. She responds to the can of pennies. She is well cared for and well fed but she needs more attention and activity than we can give. I have tried to find a home for her but everyone knows she bit my son and no one wants her. She is spayed and has her shots. I feel like I should take her to the shelter because I am now terrified of her. Am I doing the right thing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:01 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Pets

• I think it is the right thing..the bite caused stitches...kids come first. My brother had to do this with a pet that they had for 5 yrs. They told the kids that the dog was going to a family that didn't have kids. In the future after they've had ime to grieve it would be ok to have another dog so they don't grow up afraid.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 5:21 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Yes you are, your kids come first. At least I hope so.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 5:02 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Thanks. I hate to do it. I hate to take an animal to the shelter. But I am too scared for my children, and they most certainly come first.
    Anonymous