draging racing

Why do they call drag racing, drag racing? It is one of my kids homework question and I have no clue? I have all ready googled, can't find the answer.

strawberryfrost

Asked by strawberryfrost at 5:08 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Okay - found this from the NHRA site: "About the term "drag racing" Although the tiretracks of its history are clear, the origin of the term "drag racing" is not. The theories are almost as many and varied as the machines that have populated its ranks for five decades. Explanations range from a simple challenge ("Drag your car out of the garage and race me!") to geographical locale (the "main drag" was a city's main street, often the only one wide enough to accommodate two vehicles), to the mechanical (to "drag" the gears meant to hold the transmission in gear longer than normal)."

Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 5:27 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• http://americanhistory.si.edu/onthemove/themes/story_66_4.html

Hope this helps above!

RMSA3.png picture by RMSAAdmin

RMASAdmin

Answer by RMASAdmin at 5:20 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Wow, that is tough info to find. I might call my uncle, he does drag racing. I would say that it's because it's done on a dragstrip... but I can't find why the drag strip is named that either! LOL
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 5:22 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I think it is just because they race on a drag strip
    Anonymous

• It is from the old logging days. They used to have contest to see whose mule team could "drag" their log the furthest the fastest. Hence, a drag race. The tractors do "drag" a sled with weight, but it's called a tractor pull! Anyway, this is what I have always been told and it made sense to me.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:38 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Ladies you all are so great!!!!!!! Thanks for all the Help!!!!!
    strawberryfrost

Answer by strawberryfrost at 8:25 PM on Apr. 27, 2009