Is it possible to be a single, full-time working mom and homeschool an 8th grader?

My son is extremely smart, but, not challenged at school. I know I could be a good teacher for him, but, could it be done at night and on weekends? Or is all day everyday better?

BradenIsMySon

Asked by BradenIsMySon at 5:13 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• It can be done at the times that is convient for you and your son. Basically the time frame would depend on what parts of the day/night he would be more alert to learning without distractions. If you plan to have him also stay with your schools district programs like sports, outtings, etc., they are normally held during the evening hours. Of course I'm sure he and his friends could schedule some peer time during the day as well.

RMSA3.png picture by RMSAAdmin

RMASAdmin

Answer by RMASAdmin at 5:16 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• In all honesty, just go to the school, tell them that he' sNOT challenged and needs it
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 5:19 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• They know he isn't challenged, they all told me that they feel he is a genius. But, they fefuse to do anything till he makes all A's. Then he would be in Gifted and Talented. Which, isn't really that challanging. I know they think he is smart, because they pulled him to side before standarized testing this year to ask him if he was gonna do better than last year(he got commended last year, they should be working on the ones that did bad, not count on mine to pull them through). They just want the extra money and the billing that goes with it when kids do really well on the test. He won't do good in class till he stops being bored to tears.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:34 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I would imagine it can be done, but it might prove pretty stressful on you. Working full time, teaching him, cleaning house, etc. My kids go to public school, and I know I'm worn out by 8, when I work all day, get home at 6, help with homework, cook dinner, do baths, etc. If I had to actually teach like a teacher instead of just helping with homework, I'd probably be pretty stressed. You know if you can handle it or not, though, better than anyone else. As someone else said, you can do it on your schedule. That's one of the pluses to it.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:08 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• My sister in law homeschooled her 10th grader and worked fulltime. It was hard but she did it for one year. He went back to HS and graduated and she was killed in an accident 2 weeks after he graduated. He put his diploma in her casket. So yes its possible.
    Anonymous

• You can do the homeschooling whenever fits best for him and you. That is one positive about homeschooling, NO schedules. It also doesn't have to be all day either.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:33 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• What will your son do during the day while you are working and his friends are at school (leaving him home alone sounds like a recipe for disaster and could have you in serious legal trouble)? Have you had him tested by the school system, or some one else, for a gifted program? If he is truly gifted you will be able to find great resources through the Center for Talent Development at Northwestern University: www.ctd.northwestern.edu

Answer by rkoloms at 9:37 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• You CAN do ti and it is fun for them if you make it fun! There is also online school you should maybe think about and it is free. But think about this: how much time is he going to be spending home alone when you are at work? That is more of a concern to me than anything else. OH and you can still let him do sports and clubs and field trips just like if he was going to school full time. Also you can homeschool him only in certain classes instead of all of them. Talk to him and see how he feels about it. My son really missed his friends when he was homeschooled but we did enjoy the time together.
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 1:16 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Definitely! You CAN do this! Especially if he is above average! He will probably get really involved with planning his own curriculum! What better way to make sure that he is engaged and challenged! I say go for it, you can do this! I work, homeschool my two boys and go school myself full time!

malindasb

Answer by malindasb at 1:38 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• If hes as smart as you say he is, then theres no reason why he cant get on the computer and do his own work at his own pace. You will be around in the evenings and weekends to help him get organized and keep track of hours and turn the correct paperwork in, but he does the work on his own. Most homeschoolers at this age are self sufficient. It sounds like hes not only a smart kid, but one that can be trusted during the day to be alone. Make sure thats part of the agreement. He can't be running around during the day. I just don't get the impression that hes like that though. I would definitely flee the PS school system. In fact, we are doing that next year. I am pulling all 3 of my kids out because we are moving and I don't want to deal with the system in the district where we are moving. Its mediocre at best. My kids deserve better.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:18 AM on Apr. 28, 2009