ants on my orange tree?

i just recently (2-3 weeks ago) planted an orange tree in my backyard, and now there are tiny ants crawling all over it. is this bad? are they going to kill my tree? some of the leaves are dying and i'm not sure if its because of the ants or maybe the soil in my backyard or something...

llansky

Asked by llansky at 5:26 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Home & Garden

• There is spray that kills bugs, but doesn't kill flowers. You could try spraying it on the leaves, not any fruit. And then paint the tree trunk, that is supposed to keep ants from crawling up.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 5:49 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• There are also ant bait spikes that are a lot like roach traps that you can place along one the ant trails to the tree. It will wipe out the ant colony.

AS to what's wrong with the tree, you may want to contact your local Cooperative Extension office for advice. Beyond that....is it getting enough water? Is the soil the right ph? Is is getting enough light? Do you have a plant warranty on it? You might want to talk to the nursery it was purchased from to get more advice or a replacement tree later.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 11:16 AM on Apr. 28, 2009