Is this abnormal or normal?

For the past couple of days I've been getting headaches whenever I walk up the stairs. It is now starting to happen with the slightest exertion and especially when I bend over. The headaches are not severe, just really annoying and make me nauseous. It also seems to affect my eyesight, but not really. More like being disoriented but not really dizzy. It's hard to explain. I was worried this might be signs of preeclampsia, but I'm only 14 weeks and I have not noticed any signs of swelling, other than minor swelling when I've been on my feet for a little while. I had a minor 'stitch' in my side earlier, and some shortness of breath where I feel like I can't fill my lungs completely. I don't have a way of taking my blood pressure at the moment, but was hoping someone else may have had these symptoms or know something about it to help me deal with it until tomorrow when I can get to the doctor

AndrisMom

Asked by AndrisMom at 5:26 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• that doesnt sound right . it could be something but im not sure i would at least call your dr tnight and see if they think you should go in and be checked good luck
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 5:27 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Definitely keep an eye out for pre-e, of course. Headaches can be a normal part of pregnancy (due to fatigue and hormones) but since they seem to come on during exertion, that's maybe different.

The breathlessness may be what is called "air hunger" and it can be totally normal - tied up with fatigue and other things. The disorientation/dizziness might be part of this. I got it really bad in my last pregnancy and couldn't walk up the stairs without taking a break halfway, it was really awful. Nettle and alfalfa teas are tonics that are safe during pregnancy and very beneficial, and a B complex supplement helped a lot. Deep breathing techniques were also useful; learn "stomach breathing." Have your dr/mw rule out anemia, thyroid problems, electrolyte imbalance, and B deficiency.

Stitch in the side is almost certainly a round ligament pain - totally normal and unavoidable. No cause for concern there!
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 5:46 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I called my MIL (she's doing her preceptorship in L&D) she happened to be standing next to my OB, so... He said to stop everything, lie on my left side drink a glass of water and eat something with some sugar. Well, the sugar part didn't help, but lying down did. I'm going in to the office tomorrow morning.
    AndrisMom

Answer by AndrisMom at 8:40 PM on Apr. 27, 2009