Am I too hard on my DD?

Ok my sister is forever telling me I am to hard on my DD. She will be 3 in June and I make her clean up her toys, clean her room and put her plates in the sink. She gets help cleaning up her toys and room but she has to do it too. We also taught her that she needs to put a toy away before she can get a new one out. She has done this since she was about 1. If she doesn't put things away she doesn't get a new toy out. I don't punish her per say...she just doesn't get anymore toys until stuff is cleaned up. Am I too hard? Please don't bash! My theory is...if she does it now she will do it forever. AND she will learn to respect her stuff.

mere417

Asked by mere417 at 5:26 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Sounds ok to me. I think its great that you are teaching her to be responsible. Good job mama!

brancoj

Answer by brancoj at 5:30 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I don't think you are. As long as you show your daughter love and respect, I don't see the problem with showing her how to clean up after herself. :]
    MandyOs

Answer by MandyOs at 5:31 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I agree with you 100%!!! We do the same with our boys.. IMO you aren't too hard on your DD..
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 5:31 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• you are definately NOT too hard! My 3 and 4 year olds do the same as yours, and actually my 4 year old cleans his room almost entirely by himself now. They also clean up their own dishes and help me put clothes in the washer and dryer. Teach them now why they think it's fun! You go mama!
    shannipoo714

Answer by shannipoo714 at 5:32 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I just farted. It is a meaty one. Too bad I cannot share.
    Anonymous

• I'd ease up a bit and just make her clean up at the end of the day.Just make sure the toys stay in her room.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 5:33 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Ok, thanks mamas! I feel better! I do love my DD and have no problem with her making messes as long as she is having fun...but my sister is always ragging on me! But I think my sis is too easy on my nephew, he is 11 and doesn't pick up after himself...
    MandyO...i love her and my DS with all my heart! ;P they are my world!
    We also always tell her how good she is when she does clean up after herself...alot of the time it is without us telling her to! She is a good girl!
    mere417

Answer by mere417 at 5:35 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I did that with my son. However, he is 13 now and it didn't stick. It's a chore for me to get him to clean or help, but, I try.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:39 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I am the same way with my kids. They have to clean up before bed, unless I have gotten hurt because of a toy. Then they have to put away things so I can walk normally again. My two year old clears his dishes.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 5:40 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I don't think that's too hard on a 3 year old. Afterall you said she gets help. That is teaching her responsibility and appreication for the tangible things that belong to her. It's another way of the helper spending quality time with the toddler. As she grows up she is less likely to be irresponsible. But I wouldn't add too many more on her list at this point. But it's definately NOT too much and you're not being too hard on her espcially since she doesn't get punished but help.
    MommyCuz

Answer by MommyCuz at 5:41 PM on Apr. 27, 2009