My 2 week old son is always leaking out of his diaper

We have tried both huggies and pampers and he is leaking out of them no matter how often we change his diaper any suggestions.

Newmomma9301

Asked by Newmomma9301 at 5:27 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Newborn's legs are so skinny, it's really common. As he plumps up, he'll fill the dipes out better and this will be less of a problem. You can also try cloth diapers, many women find them less leaky!
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 5:29 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• i had this problem too huggies and luvs worked best for us lil boys like to do this but you should point his penis down in the diaper and make sure not to the side let me know if it works for you it worked for me for the most part
    jaksonsmommy

Answer by jaksonsmommy at 5:29 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Are you aiming him down?
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 5:31 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• we use cloth, and they don't leak unless i don't change them before its full. you could be in the wrong size, maybe he's a size 1 already, if you're using newborn, or maybe he's still in the newborn size and you're using a size too large. also make sure you point his penis down when you put the diaper on, if he's aiming upwards (like someone else said) he will much more quickly leak through his dipe
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 5:33 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• this happend with my nephew. My sister put him in one size bigger diaper and it worked out fine. he is 4 weeks now and only leaks while changing his diaper lol
    Mommy2Mariah

Answer by Mommy2Mariah at 6:02 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• My son was notorious for leaking, especially right after I changed him. Then I had to change his diaper and his clothes again!! It was very frustrating. Just make sure the diapers are tight around his belly, but not constricting. You could try the next size up and just overlap it good. That's what I ended up doing. He was in NB size and then I just bought size 1 and pulled them tight around his legs so they were snug. Also, he leaked less when I made sure he was pushed down.
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 6:38 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Try different diapers. They are not one size fits all, especially in the first few months!

My youngest was the worst, he would be right out of his diaper, and there wouldn't be a drop in his diaper. It had nothing to do with how he was pointed either. Huggies worked for him.....I am partial to huggies anyways.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 6:50 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I had several boys, the first was leaking alot with disposables so for the next son I made my own cloth dipes. I would never recommend using a tighter diaper, cloth or disp, they need enough room in the front for their penis to straighten out whenever it likes to. I made my boys' cloth dipes with a pouch in the front for the added room. It was a bit of a trial and error thing to figure up a good pattern. And I added a U-shaped absorbent piece in the front top extending down to the legs stopping on each side of the scrotum. It worked great at catching pee whenever they were lying down. But I doubt it was helping much when they were standing or sitting.
    homeraisin

Answer by homeraisin at 8:25 AM on Jun. 26, 2009

• Have you thought of trying Cloth Diapers??
    sybanshee

Answer by sybanshee at 7:56 PM on Aug. 31, 2009