Parents of 3 or more

This is not a debate or who's a better person yadda yadda yadda.

I have 2 children the first I tried to BF and couldnt for several reasons. The second I BF until their 1st Birthday. Im about to deliver my 3rd child and I am having second thoughts about BF'ing. Not because I dont want to, but because its so time consuming Im afraid that I wont be able to divide the time between all my kids. A newborn takes a lot of time anyway and a BF"ING newborn is even more time.

Has anyone had 3 young kids and was able to succesfully BF and still give enough attention to everyone in the house husband included?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:43 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes. I BF four kids past a year each. It is chaotic for awhile, but once routine settles back in no problem. My kids are now 11-8-6-3. That may be a little more spacing than yours, but it works.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:49 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I have a very good friend who has two sets of twins and has had no problem doing this. Another good friend who has four children and does great managing BF while tending her other three and working. Its how you make the schedule and arrangements for making you and the children comfortable.

RMSA3.png picture by RMSAAdmin

RMASAdmin

Answer by RMASAdmin at 5:55 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• My story is the same..I tries to BF my first child, but he was born weighing 9lbs. 11oz. and was always hungry and I couldn't keep up, and we had to feed 30 min then bottle feed. My secong child I BF unitl 9months because she was done and drank out of a sippy cup like her big bro. my third baby and BF until 10 months also stopped on her own because she also started walking and wanted a big girl cup too. I LOVED BF both my last two and would have kept on if they'd let me. But finding the time is easy, just let them know you are feeding and they can watch cartoons are read a book, now that it's warm outside they can chalk or dig while you feed and they won't even notice..good luck and congratulations
    Kimx3babies

Answer by Kimx3babies at 5:57 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• The decision is totally yours! I bf'd all 5 of my kids, but the last 3 were on both formula and milk. I think this sounds like it might be a good idea for you. You will all benefit from it. You can bf when you have time/energy, then formula feed when you dont. Also baby will benefit from the milk you do give him/her. Just start the formula fairly soon after birth so that it will still take the formula. About 2-3 weeks old or sooner. dont let people try to guilt you into bf, the baby will do well any way you choose to do it.
    5isenoughforme

Answer by 5isenoughforme at 6:28 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• My three were all under 36 months.

Nope, was no way it was going to happen especially adding in the special needs kid.

But that was my situation.

Honestly, it's your choice. It can be done, it has been done. If yours are older it will be easier.
    Anonymous

• I've got four, 20 mos apart, and bf all of them. Actually, breastfeeding seems LESS time-consuming to me, after that initial intense period at the very beginning -- I think that basically the fact is that babies are time consuming, no matter how you feed them.You will all fall into a rhythm, and it works out just fine. Make sure that you have plenty of support in the early weeks while you're establishing the breastfeeding relationship, and after that the intensity drops off. It can work for you if you're willing/able to get through those intense first weeks to find the rhythm.

Do you have a carrier that you can wear your baby in, that allows you to breastfeed hands-free? It's a big help! thebabywearer is a good source of information and tips. A sling is so useful even if you decide to formula feed - I highly recommend finding one that works for you!
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 6:55 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I have 5 kids. I BF 1st for 2 weeks (my mother died and I couldnt keep up) 2nd for 8 months (I sold my house and had to be away, pumping is not my strong suit!) 3rd and 4th (twins!) BF for 13 months... and 5th BF for 13 months! I often had a pile of kids in my lap. But I dont feel like I didnt have time for the kids.... My house suffers the house always suffers!
    ThePopeVI

Answer by ThePopeVI at 7:23 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I am fairly knew to cafemom. What is BF,DD, and other abbreviations?
    Anonymous