in the last question

regarding visiting heaven and hell it said people had described hell. i have never heard of anyone describing hell.i know what heaven is sapposed to be.but what is hell sapposed to be like.the typical fire and brimstones???interested.

raineydays377

Asked by raineydays377 at 5:50 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• In what religion were you raised, if any?

Being raised Christians, we were taught Hell was a lake of fire; a place of eternal torment where Satan never stopped torturing you and you never stopped feeling pain. That was just Sunday school...
    Anonymous

• boy i ask one question and i get it.stop the bashing it gets boring after a while.i am protestant what religion are you????????????
    raineydays377

Answer by raineydays377 at 6:09 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Wait, how was I bashing?? I just answered your question.
    Anonymous

• I think it depends on how you were raised really.

I was always taught it was a place of fire and brimstone but also was a place where you were seperated from God and your family.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 6:17 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• The 'hell' stories I have heard were not fire and brimstone type of stories. I have only read/heard of a few and they were more of a dark lonely place. I am not saying there aren't any fire and brimstone stories, I just haven't heard of them.

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 6:19 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Read Divine Revelation of Hell, and Divine Revelation of Heaven by Mary K Baxter. She is a Christian evangelist who was taken into hell for a few days, and then about a month later was taken into Heaven. They are really good books, and will make you want to live your life right!
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 6:25 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• The hellish near-death-experiences mention darkness and cold rather than fire and brimstone. In my own NDE, I walked through a dark tunnel and I heard voices coming from the darkness, but couldn't make out words. I just knew there were people there, but didn't know why at the time. I can certainly see ancient people being terrified by volcanic eruptions and thinking hell and punishment must certainly be like that. But, I don't think it is. I know it isn't permanent or "eternal". You can get yourself out, if you choose to.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 6:28 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I looked Read Divine Revelation of Hell, and Divine Revelation of Heaven by Mary K Baxter up and with the stuff I am reading, she is a delusional crazed person, not someone to listen to and determine your life around. I will read more though. But right now I am more like, WHOAH! This is a HUGE pill to swallow. And it is kind of funny too.

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 6:32 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• See, because as a Christian I understand from studying the Bible that 1. Hell as we understand it was never part of God's word, 2. Satan (according to the Bible) is a deceiver and I believe he misleads people into thinking many things that are wrong, Eve was perfect and he got her to believe him when he said she would not die and she would be like God.......
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 7:09 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Anon: Being raised Christians, we were taught Hell was a lake of fire; a place of eternal torment where Satan never stopped torturing you and you never stopped feeling pain. That was just Sunday school...

I was taught this, too, being raised Baptist, but the Bible actually teaches something different. Hell & the lake of fire are actually two different things. Hell is a place where the dead go. The lake of fire is not a real place, but is used symbolically in the book of Revelation to refer to total destruction.
    PetKat37

Answer by PetKat37 at 7:24 PM on Apr. 27, 2009