How old does a female dog have to be to no longer have puppies?

Or go in heat?

I have a 7 year old Golden Retriever and has had 2 times of litter in the past now I am wondering, I never had her fixed can she still get pregnant (or go into heat) regardless her age.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:52 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Pets

• Yes of course she can still have puppies, they don't go through menopause, if you don't want her to breed anymore, get her fixed
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 6:15 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• My stepmother's sixteen year old dog went into heat a few months ago.

Get your dog spayed. There's no excuse not to.
    SarahColbert

Answer by SarahColbert at 6:35 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Yep she should of been fixed. It also lowers their chance of breast cancer by 80%!! Its worth it. Just get her fixed sp that poor old girl doesn't have to have puppies or periods anymore
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:04 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• She can keep on having litters and it's really not good for her. Get her spayed!!
    goldenfox

Answer by goldenfox at 7:16 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• If you aren't gonna use it loose it. If you are done breeding have her spayed. It will help to lessen her chances of mammary tumors and completely get rid of the possibility or a uterine infection. Either of those would lead to and even more expensive surgery the latter being an emergency procedure. If cost is an issue you could look up any low cost spay programs in your area. I know my state has several.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:40 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Get her fixed before she gets any older because if you wait too long it will become a health issue aside from the cancer aspect. My bro had a doggie that was in heat and shes 14.
    Anonymous