I am 30 and the doc is wanting me to have a hysterectomy. He gave me no info on the prep or post surgury details. I'm kinda freakin out. Does anyone have any advice?

I have had problems with endometreosis since I started my period. At age 17 I was told that I could't have kids. Ive had 4 laporoscopies done to remove the scar tissue. I had to have a LEAP done to remove cancerous cells from my cervix also. I had given up on having children when at age 25 I got pregnant. Yay!!! He is now 4 and wonderful. The last 2 years my periods have been extremely painful and heavy. Doc wants to do surgery. I'm not sure what I should do. I also have rhuemetoid arthritis so a pregnancy would prbably cripple me. I am only 30 though so my mom is de4ad set against it. What should I do???

ssmith13390

Asked by ssmith13390 at 5:57 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Health

• My mom chose to have a hysterectomy at 45. She had had a few instances of some abnormal cells in the past and about every 7 years she would have an abnormal pap and the doctors could never find a reasoning for it. Finally she decided that the anxiety of waiting for test results was too much for her to handle anymore so she decided to go through with the surgery. She says it was the best decision she ever made. No one is going to be able to tell you what to do and it does not matter what anyone else says...it is your body. However if I were you, I would go through with the surgery. You had a baby against all odds and that is wonderful. Even though you could still have more, the problems you are having seem to be outweighing the positives in my opinion and it is always better to prevent a problem than waiting until someone worse does happen and then having to deal with it then. Good luck to you.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 6:07 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• And as for the surgery itself...my mom said it is alot like a c-section. The scare is about the same in size and she was in pain for about a week but was able to move around during that time with little discomfort. Sleeping was the hardest part she said.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 6:08 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I had my hyster at age 30 as well, I kept my ovaries till I was 36. I have a laprascopic assisted vaginal hyster, it wasn't bad. The first couple of days are the worse, but it wasn't bad
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 6:13 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I recently refused to have one. Just say "no" if you don't want one. You can always see another doctor or get a tubal ligation to not get pregnant. I wouldn't get a complete hysterectomy for sure. I'd keep my ovaries. My sister had a hysterectomy at your age and she never had any problems plus nowadays they can do those vaginal ones that's not so bad. However, my doctor said it depends on the state of the uterus if you can have a vaginal one. If the endometriosis has scarred things up so bad in there that it won't easily drop they still do the old fashioned cut and remove.
    Have you tried Synarel? I tried that one time and it worked great. It's a prescription mist you squirt up your nose. Much easier than surgery and worth trying to see if it helps.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:16 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Please get another opinion before you have the surgery. Make an informed decision and do not let others pressure you into anything. message me if you would like to chat. Mary
    jmcan

Answer by jmcan at 9:10 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Best thing to happen to me, ever. I had mine at 35 after years and years of begging for help. Being so sick in the first place, a nasty, painful period on top of that is just terrible. I feel ya. Why is your mom so against it? Not getting one might be fine for her but not for you. Think about how fabulous it will be to be rid of the pesky old thing! I'm telling you, it's fabulous.
    krisr169

Answer by krisr169 at 8:46 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• There are other treatments for endometriosis. I would explore all of then and only have surgery as a last resort.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:00 PM on Apr. 28, 2009