Cloth or Disposable??

I can't decide if I want to use cloth or disposable. I mean I want to be all for the environment and saving money. But what I have looked up, I'm not sure which one is easier and cheaper. And I'm not sure how many disposable diapers I'd need!?! Who knew thinking green would be so much work ;) Please post your opinions, thanks!

ZammiesMommy

Asked by ZammiesMommy at 6:04 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• with a newborn there are about 10 dirty/wet diapers a day. so for a week you'd need about 70-80 diapers. the amount slows down as they get older. i prefer disposable. however if you are trying to decide factor price, that many diapers runs about $20 every 2 weeks so $40 or so a month. and baby will be in diapers til he or she is between 2 and 3 typically.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 6:08 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Well for me, disposable are easier. The thought of having to clean the cloth diapers makes me ill. Yeah I'm sorry earth. I'm gonna have to deal with it when I'm potty training and I have to clean up accidents, plus I'm a single mom. Soooo...that was the deciding factor for me. Yeah.
    Anonymous

• Well, throwing a diaper away is easier, technically. But, we use cloth wipes, so we wipe the baby and throw it in the diaper pail with it. When they poop, we dump it in the toilet. It takes maybe ten seconds. There is the washing. It's easy, though. You don't have to think about it. Wash cold, wash warm, dry. A diaper service is about the same as disposables (cost wise), so if you're worried about the environment, it's a good option. If cost is an option, you CAN cloth diaper for very cheaply. Prefolds and covers are very economical, and there are no pins required.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 6:44 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• All the extra energy used for washing and drying, all the extra chemicals put into the sewer and the extra wear and tear on your washer and dryer needs to be factored in as well.

I think it's a toss up, personally.
    Anonymous

• Cloth diapering is not hard at all, I don't know why more people don't do it! It costs more to get started, but then you don't have to buy diapers...ever. For me it was a no-brainer. I got some all-in-ones and a diaper sprayer and some cute covers. I use Bumgenius and Yucky Ducks. You can also get biodegradeable liners that catch most of the poop and you can just flush that part. Or the diaper sprayer sprays it all off in the potty to flush away. Then keep the wet, rinsed diapers in a pail (I put mine in a laundry bag) and wash 'em every few days. People will say your water/electric bills will be higher, but that has not been true for me.
    Indygirl18

Answer by Indygirl18 at 6:50 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• For me the reason was a simple one, Yes cloth diapers are good for the environment (despite the chemicals used to wash them daily) and Yes they may be cheaper, but its all about convience. whether you want to take time out of your schedule and your babies schedule to have to take care of them. also if you dont own a washer it can be even more costly and even more inconvenent! weigh the pros and cons and decide if its right for your family!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 6:57 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I use disposable. Its easier when you're out too. My dd is 8 months and I spend about $100 a month on wipes and diapers. I use pampers swaddlers sensitive.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:22 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I like cloth I used disposables with my older 2 and cloth for my younger 3. I thought about trying cloth earlier and everyone told me it sucked..... since they were older than me I went with what they said since they had used cloth..... I was STUPID! I wish I would have used cloth from the start! it really is easy wet dapers go in the pail poop gets flushed (BTW your SUPPOSED to do that with 'sposies too read the instructions LOL) then when the pail is full you wash them you dump the pail in the washer and wash (I do Cold cold warm total of 3 cycles) but I have 3 in diapers so I have big loads LOL. though 2 are now only night diapered. I buy disposables if we go on vacation or something but I love my cloth diapers.... I know lots of cloth daper sites have try it packs that is enough to try for a day or two and see how you like it and they are pretty cheap too!
    ThePopeVI

Answer by ThePopeVI at 7:33 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• "All the extra energy used for washing and drying, all the extra chemicals put into the sewer and the extra wear and tear on your washer and dryer needs to be factored in as well.

I think it's a toss up, personally. "

How do you think disposables are manufactured?
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 7:42 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• CLOTH!!!
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 7:48 PM on Apr. 27, 2009