how can you get cats from peeing on the floor

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:23 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Pets

• dont keep them!
    Anonymous

• Litter box
    Anonymous

• put them outside where they belong
    Anonymous

• Litter box and a water bottle to spray them when they misbehave.
    CocoaB

Answer by CocoaB at 6:41 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Been there/done that. Sorry you're going thru this.

If it's always the same area, try putting the litter box there and slowly (over a period of weeks) move it to where you'd like it to be. I've also heard that adding potting soil to the litter box can make it more appealing.

You should take your cat to the vet. A lot of times they have potty problems when they have a urinary tract infection or kidney disease.

Has anything changed in your house? New baby? Children stressing it out? Sometimes they will pee outside of the litter box due to stress. Make sure the litterbox is in a private spot where the cat feels safe. And maybe add another box to your house. There should be one box per cat, plus one extra. So if you have one cat, you need two boxes.

When you clean up the pee, make sure to use some type of odor remover, like the type you can get a pet stores.

Hope that helps. Good luck!
    goldenfox

Answer by goldenfox at 6:45 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• i had a big problem with that with one of my cats and i took her to the vet and she has a dieases called FLUTD(feline lower urinary tract diease) it actually happens when she gets stressed out and just a simple trip to the vet could make her stressed and what happens is her ph is very high in her urine and makes her bladder inflammed and just pees where ever because it hurt. make sure your cleaning the litter box enough the pet shops also sell plug ins with destresser pheramones in them its the same as when your cat rubs on your leg or a peice of furniture.
    kd2kds

Answer by kd2kds at 7:51 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• It is very common for cats to get bladder and kidney infections. However, I notice with my cats that if there is a damp towel on the floor after a shower or whatever, they pee there...so we pick it up. don't know if she's jsut randomly peeing. Is the cat fixed?? Maybe it's spraying, not peeing. and don't listen to the dingalings and throw her outside. Cats don't belong outside. Well, not where i live, they'd get run over in a minute.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:07 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Ok, make sure you are cleaning the pee areas very well. Animals can smell thier scent on the carpet even after it is cleaned. There are cleaners that will completely eliminate the scent as well as clean the stain. This keeps the territorial marking from reoccuring. I would also check with your vet to make sure there isn't some sort of medical issue causing this problem. You can also clean your litterbox everyday. Some cats are picky and don't like to use a box thats too dirty. Sometimes they also don't like to share. Try a 2nd box. Good Luck!
    irockhardkorps

Answer by irockhardkorps at 11:19 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• take them by the scruff rub their noses in it then toss them out side! There is no worse smell then cat piss!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:20 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I have a cat with this problem. He is 9 yrs old, got a bladder infection about 7 yrs ago and while the bladder infection resolved, the peeing stayed. We have been to vets.. we have tried all kinds of products, multiple litter boxes & he still does it. Granted, he is only doing it twice a week now, but after 7 yrs I'm done cleaning cat pee. I would let him outside, but we live in a city. I just found him a home with a friend as an out door cat. It is hard to find a good home for a cat that pees. We will be dropping him off this weekend. I don't want to discourage you, because I do think you need to experiment and see if you can solve the problem. Just don't feel bad if you can't. I never thought I would do this, but I'm tired of my house smelling
    wanderingmuse

Answer by wanderingmuse at 9:36 PM on Apr. 29, 2009