Jesus and Buddha

I love the teachings of Jesus and Buddha. I have read before that Jesus had travled to the east an studied Buddhism and meditated. I have also heard that Jesus traveled to the Celtic lands and studied with Druids, all in the 29 (?) years before his gosples and teachings began.

What do you think Jesus did in his "missing" years?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:44 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I have heard both of those things too. The beautiful thing was that he was said to have accepted these people and their beliefs, not condemn them.
    Anonymous

• I see nothing wrong with it. I would find it incredibly refreshing.
    I hope no one gives you a hard time for this post. I think its nice.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 6:51 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• OP here: I think it is a beautiful thought as well. pnwmom, I hope no one finds it offensive, I'm not saying he did after all, just that I heard it.*wink*

I am hoping to hear what Christians think he did in those years not mentioned in the bible.

Anonymous

• he was about the  fathers work.. Going around the world preaching the Gospel and telling people about the father..

hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 6:55 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I would believe it. Especially given the commonalities between the teachings of Buddha and those of Christ. I hadn't heard about the Druids or Celts, but I always believed He studied.learned in the east, so I wouldn't object to the thought that He might have learned from Buddhism or any of the others, but Buddhism especially...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:14 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• *edit - I have HEARD of the Druids and Celts, I meant in terms of Jesus and His life, lol, if you get what I mean.
    =)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:15 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I understood bankgeek ;-)

Anonymous

• Plus wasn't there a Buddhist community in the Middle East during the time of Jesus, as well as the hints of his travels to other countries? So many of his teachings are Buddhist in nature that it makes sense that he was influenced by those ideas, and brings such depth to it all. Even if he had no contact with any Buddhists, it really does seem to indicate that some spiritual ideas have a universality for human beings. Here is a great UU sermon on "Was Jesus a Buddhist?" that I enjoyed reading. It talks about acknowledging the similarities and also the value of honoring the differences.

Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 7:42 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Maybe it was both, like Hinson said, He was going around the world preaching and came across the Buddhists and then decide he liked them too :-0

Anonymous

• As for what I think he was doing during the "lost years" (which can only be guessed at or assumed, because the historical record is nonexistent) I believe he was "being perfected"... that he was traveling, learning, serving, seeking, and ultimately becoming enlightened.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 7:45 PM on Apr. 27, 2009