• In the Spotlight:

Can a kid eat too much fruit?

She eats a jar of Gerber graduates fruit deices a day. My cousin informed I could be turning her into a diabetic.

RiyahsMommy08

Asked by RiyahsMommy08 at 6:45 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no a jar of fruit a day is a good thing, just monitor how much other sugar products you give her. also fruit has natural sugar. you can also talk to your pedi. i always made sure my kids had a jar fruit a day and sometimes two. just make sure they are getting a well balanced diet.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 6:47 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Fruit is good in moderation. make sure that while you are giving her fruit that you cut back on fruit juices a bit. Too much fruit juices can cause rashes. I dont know about the diabetic part, Ive never heard of someone becoming diabetic because of too much fruit. If you worry about it you can talk to a dietician about how much to give her and how to properly balance a diet. i think people worry too much about their kids getting too much sugar, if a person limits almost all sugars from the diet, then when your child gets older and starts eating more sugary foods/drinks (friends house, school) then their body wont know what to do with it. Im not saying to give them candy and pop, but a little is good I think.
    5isenoughforme

Answer by 5isenoughforme at 7:50 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• My daughter has always loved fruit, I mean loved it, but we always gave her fresh fruit (pretty much as much as she wanted), but no juices or diced fruit in syrup, etc. (I'm assuming the Gerber doesn't have added sugar, so it would be fine). But she's always like the veggies, meats, and everything else, too, so her diet's been balanced. I'd say as long as there's no added sugar, and she drinks milk and water and eats a balanced diet, give the fruit she likes.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:25 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• It shouldn't hurt her, because there is no added sugar. But you can try giving her a jar of fruit and a jar of veggies a day to break it up.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:46 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Before baby turns one, the bulk of her nutrition should be coming from breastmilk or formula; solids are for the experience of eating them. You should be offering your baby a variety of vegetables and fruits. You can mash a bit of what you are eating, just don't season it. Great foods for your baby are avocado, cooked sweet potato, cooked and mashed apple, cooked and mashed zucchini, cooked and mashed beans. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods before baby's first birthday. This is not a complete list, but includes: wheat, soy, dairy, egg white, citrus, strawberries. www.superbabyfood.com will show you the best book on feeding your baby and toddler; you should be able to get it at the library.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:15 PM on Apr. 27, 2009