Doing the right thing? Taking a dog to the shelter?

(Sorry, didn't realize that selecting best answer would end the question).
We have had my dog for a year now. I have been training her and she is great except she bit my son (2 months ago). I am a single mom of 2. My kids are 7 and 2. She just jumped up and bit my son (7) for no reason, resulting in a trip to the hospital and stitches. She's never done anything like that before. We have had trouble teaching her not to jump up, especially on my little one. I feel like we are horrible owners. I never leave her alone with my kids. She responds to the can of pennies. She is well cared for and well fed but she needs more attention and activity than we can give. I have tried to find a home for her but everyone knows she bit my son and no one wants her. She is spayed and has her shots. I feel like I should take her to the shelter because I am now terrified of her. Am I doing the right thing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:49 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Pets

• I understand how you feel. When I was 7 months pregnant, my rescue dog who was also a mixed breed, I think retriever and something else attached me and my fiance. When we got him they told me he was a little aggressive, One day I was putting him in the backyard and he attacked me. Not just bit me but attacked me. My fiance came to help and he got attacked also. He also bit a couple of other people before us. I brought him to a trainer before the incident and the trainer saw it coming. He said that he was very unpredictable The next day we took him to animal control and put him down. He was not safe around us so he was def not safe around my newborn. It was the hardest thing I ever did and still feel bad about tuill this day . I cried like a baby but I was scared of him. Good Luck on what you decide. Sometimes you have to do it.
    Luckylady32807

Answer by Luckylady32807 at 10:16 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Have you tried obedience training? If you genuinely feel like you've done everything you can, take her to a no kill shelter, rather then a regular one, that way she has a chance.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 6:53 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• if you have not been able to find her a nice home yourself then yeah you are doing the right thing by taking her to the shelter. dogs get adopted quickly at shelters. if it was me i would have gotten rid of the dog too. you can't keep a dog like that in the house with children. good luck
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 6:54 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• This is a tough one. For now my dogs are part of my family. If they bit my little one I know my dh would either get rid of em or kill em. (not really)...I'm really sorry you are in that situation. I wish I could say/do something to help. Maybe call your humane society or ask your vet if they know someone without kids that have lost a pet. Maybe they have a suggestin. Don't feel like a bad pet owner or mommy. Things happen I was bit by our german shepherd when I was 4 Because I stepped on his foot. Usually,if they haven't been threatened in any way its just a reaction to something. Are you willing to see how he reacts tp your kids now? U need to do whatever u feel u need to do. Good luck =(
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 6:59 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• TheDiva. I would take her to a no kill shelter but we only have 1 in the area and there is a 4 month wait list to get an animal into it.

calliesmommie. I have waited 2 months since she bit my son and she is getting more aggressive. Probably because she can sense my fear but I can't seem to lessen my anxiety around her either. She has made me very nervous. Everyone I know, knows what happened to my son and is too afraid to take her in.

I hate this! I am going to miss her so much but at the same time I have to think about my kids.
    Anonymous

• Your kids come first. Period.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:42 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Dogs never bite unprovoked.
    SarahColbert

Answer by SarahColbert at 8:49 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• provoked or not you should not have to worry about your dog biting your child. As much as any parent would like to you just can't be with in an arms reach at all times. It takes time to teach a small child to be gentle and some dogs are just o excitable that they nip way to hard in play. You could train but that to takes time. Time is not something you have when you are risking your kids.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:06 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I am a single mother of 2 boys also ages 11 months and 2 yrs old. I also have 2 dogs which are high energy. I take them both with my boys for two 45 minute walks a day, and 3x a week they also go jogging with me.(boys too) IThey are a lab mix and a pit mix. My lab mix was starting to get snippy with my 2 yr old and almost snapped at him also. I gave her some rules for example no going on hte furniture, no toys or treats when she is in the same room with my boys, and she is never left unattended with my boys. I know that you can't watch all the time from experience but she is learning now. When she does growl at my son she is given a correction and taken out of the room. It sounds like too me that your dog is pack leader and you might have to establish leadership. Have you tried not leaving her in the room with the kids? Try and get her evaluated first. She might be more bark than bite before you send her to a shelter.
    Luckylady32807

Answer by Luckylady32807 at 9:06 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• SarahColbert. Well mine did. My son was sitting on the sofa. I was on the chair in the living room. Luckily my daughter was asleep in her room. The dog came into the living room, walked around, settled on the floor and put her head down. Then, maybe 10 minutes later, she stood bolt upright, jumped on my son and bit him. I ran over and grabbed her and put her in the kennel. My neighbor watched my daughter while I took my son to the hospital. He got 5 stitches and still has the scar. He is terrified of dogs now. I have never left my children and dog unattended. My son had not done anything to my dog. And now she senses my anxiety about her and is growling and snapping at me and the kids. I am scared to do anything with her, afraid that she will snap again and bite me or my children.
    Anonymous