Do you allow your toddler to watch tv?

If so, how much TV do you allow them to watch a day?

beingamomrocks1

Asked by beingamomrocks1 at 6:58 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I only allow my two children ages 3 and 17 months to watch the Noggin channel ( it is preschool tv) it teaches children numbers, letters, shapes, colors, weather, manners, a lot of other stuff. my 17 month old has been saying please, thank you, no maam, no sir, yes maam , no maam, for the past 4 months now. she also brings me her cup when it is empty and tells me it's empty. my 3 year old knows most of his basic colors, he can count to 20 where my daughter can count to 4. my 3 year old also knows all of his weather. they are very smart. but i also make them sit at the kitchen table for 30 minutes a day and we have a learning block. i don't sit them in front of the tv all day long either. they usually get about 3 hours a day on and off watching tv.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 7:03 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• It's on all day when we're home, to be honest. They don't really watch it all the time...it's mostly for back ground noise. I only have kids shows on, though.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:09 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

same here
    momofone072506

Answer by momofone072506 at 7:23 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• No. I would say a guideline is 30 minutes or less a day. We just don't watch it,
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 7:44 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• yes but he doesn't. he would rather play with his toys. tv doesn't interest him. thats a great thing i guess!
    cage0101

Answer by cage0101 at 8:18 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I'm not a fan of tv for babies/toddlers, so we do it really in moderation... We let our daughter watch "Baby Signing TIme" while we taught her signs -- one 20 minute show about 2x a week from age 11 months till about 22 months. Now she's almost 2 and my husband and I have let her watch it more like 3-4 times a week (Signing time or maybe Sesame Street). I don't think she'll watch more than a half hour a few times a week till she's 3, and even then we'll keep it scaled back because she has a little sister...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:35 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• New study from Harvard came out (see last months babytalk) saying TV will NOT cause learning problems. But it won't teach them anything either. So limited TV time is okay. The only reason T V can be linked to learning problems is when a parent uses a TV, rather than personal interaction, to teach their children (so the child isn't being taught much, if anything from the parent). TV before bedtime is not good because it keeps the brain alert and causes children to sleep restlessly, and less than average children.

That being said, a limited amount of TV time is not going to hurt your child at all. So go ahead and let your baby watch a little. (between 1-2 hours max, so they still get exercise, and playtime with you, so they can interact, and learn).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:01 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Television before ago two can slow development.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:22 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• when my daughter watches t.v. its dora and i get down and watch it with her and interact with her so shes not staring there blankly but shes moving and learning
    maryjoan2157

Answer by maryjoan2157 at 10:02 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• No, we don't allow him to watch it at all. We don't plan on introducing him to tv until he's 6 or 7.
    asyoulikeit

Answer by asyoulikeit at 12:23 AM on Apr. 28, 2009