When should I potty train my 15 month old son ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:00 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• tomorrow.
    Anonymous

• i think between 18 and 24 months is a good starting point..but only if they are showing interest in the potty
    FL_Mommy_2

Answer by FL_Mommy_2 at 7:03 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I started mine when he turned 2. i bought him his potty chair for his birthday. we have been working on it for the past year and he is now completely potty trained. i don't even have to use pull ups anymore.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 7:04 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• My MIL told me that when my DD wakes up with a dry diaper that's when to start potty training I guess b/c it means she doesn't pee in her sleep. I would just get a potty so that he's familiar with it and it's a slow introduction.
    dawn_misayo

Answer by dawn_misayo at 7:10 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I would wait until he was 2, UNLESS he shows signs earlier. However, often times boys do wait until later. Our 25 month old is just starting to show more signs. We had "practiced" on the potty a few times around 22-23 months (bought the potty around 19 mos, so he'd be familiar with it) watched some potty dvd's, etc. but then he got frustrated, so I backed off. It has to be his idea. He isn't real verbal yet, so until he can let me know somehow, we'll wait. He's getting better, and the AAP according to his therapist suggests waiting until 27 mos. Hopefully his speech will catch up also about that time, We are getting close! I know some boys will train earlier, some later, it just depends on the child. Good luck with your cutie pie!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 7:20 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• 18 to 24 months, IMO. It shouldn't have to take a year. My daughter trained in about a week at 19 months. See potty training moms group in CM, look for a permanent post on the 3-day method. Not as gimicky as it sounds.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:08 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• When my 15m/o began walking at 1yr, he started going with me to the potty. I would get excited and sing when I urinated and he could hear it. He got nosey and would try to look b/t my legs to see what the noise was! After I was done, I would say "Bye-bye yucky pee pee!" and flush! After a few wks I would say "Lets go potty!" and he'd run to the bathroom! So I bought him a potty! He goes with me EVERY time I go and sits on his own potty, if only for a few seconds. At least once a day I take him in the br and pull his diaper off and sit him on the pot. Even though he isn't ready to start using it b/c he doesn't know the "feeling" of having to go, he's familiar with the potty and knows what it's for. It's pointless to push it when the child doesn't know the feeling of having to go. I'm hoping to have him in underwear by 19mos! Show him everything about it so he knows, even if he isn't ready yet, it'll make it easier when he IS!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Apr. 29, 2009