What would you do?

Yesterday I was driving and I saw a man w/ his windows rolled up, smoking a cigarette. I was wondering how he could tolerate being boxed in w/ all that smoke. Then I noticed that there was woman in the passenger seat holding a little girl no older than two. (She definitely should've been in a car seat!) I became so enraged b/c these people were smoking...in a rolled-up car...with a baby...not in a car seat!

So I honked at him & gave him the bird & mouthed, "What the f*ck are you doing?!" He just waved back.

What you would have done? I was worried about that child's safety. I hate seeing kids in dangerous situation where an adult should be the responsible one. (And the people looked like grandparents, not her parents. But I don't know.) Do you call the cops...get the tag number? Just hope that it doesn't happen again? I'm not one to tell other people what to do w/ their kids, but what do you do in a situation like this?

paige8608

Asked by paige8608 at 7:03 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I kinda had the same thing happen to me and I didn't know what to do either. My friend told me to get their license # and get CPS involved and maybe take a pic on your cell for proof.
    dawn_misayo

Answer by dawn_misayo at 7:06 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I would've called the cops and given them the license plate number for an unrestrained child
    Anonymous

• well as far as the smoking in the car i don't think that is quite illegal yet. i know they are working on it. but with the child not being in the car seat. i would have called the cops and followed them and got the plate number and tell the cops you are witnessing a couple driving down the road in a vehicle with a toddler inside not in a car seat or in the back seat. that is child endangerment and neglect.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 7:08 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• well, the smoking thing isn't illegal. But the car seat was. I would call in the license plate number and location to the cops.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 7:12 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Text the car and plate number to a friend (explain later lol), take a picture, call the cops.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:13 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• You can't do anything about the smoking, CPS won't so anything either. As for an unrestrained child, you could have called the police and gave the plate number and told them that a toddler was in the front seat on the moms lap.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:39 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I am the crazy woman who calls 911 with the car information when I see a kid not buckled in their seat.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:49 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Because of the car seat issue I would have called the cops and given them the license number. The smoking thing unfortunately there is nothing you could do about that.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:51 AM on Apr. 28, 2009