Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you do?

Yesterday I was driving and I saw a man w/ his windows rolled up, smoking a cigarette. I was wondering how he could tolerate being boxed in w/ all that smoke. Then I noticed that there was woman in the passenger seat holding a little girl no older than two. (She definitely should've been in a car seat!) I became so enraged b/c these people were a rolled-up car...with a baby...not in a car seat!

So I honked at him & gave him the bird & mouthed, "What the f*ck are you doing?!" He just waved back.

What you would have done? I was worried about that child's safety. I hate seeing kids in dangerous situation where an adult should be the responsible one. (And the people looked like grandparents, not her parents. But I don't know.) Do you call the cops...get the tag number? Just hope that it doesn't happen again? I'm not one to tell other people what to do w/ their kids, but what do you do in a situation like this?

Answer Question

Asked by paige8608 at 7:03 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Kids' Health

Level 16 (2,716 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • I kinda had the same thing happen to me and I didn't know what to do either. My friend told me to get their license # and get CPS involved and maybe take a pic on your cell for proof.

    Answer by dawn_misayo at 7:06 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

  • I would've called the cops and given them the license plate number for an unrestrained child

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:06 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

  • well as far as the smoking in the car i don't think that is quite illegal yet. i know they are working on it. but with the child not being in the car seat. i would have called the cops and followed them and got the plate number and tell the cops you are witnessing a couple driving down the road in a vehicle with a toddler inside not in a car seat or in the back seat. that is child endangerment and neglect.

    Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 7:08 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

  • well, the smoking thing isn't illegal. But the car seat was. I would call in the license plate number and location to the cops.

    Answer by ajguinn at 7:12 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

  • Text the car and plate number to a friend (explain later lol), take a picture, call the cops.

    Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:13 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

  • You can't do anything about the smoking, CPS won't so anything either. As for an unrestrained child, you could have called the police and gave the plate number and told them that a toddler was in the front seat on the moms lap.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:39 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

  • I am the crazy woman who calls 911 with the car information when I see a kid not buckled in their seat.

    Answer by rkoloms at 9:49 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

  • Because of the car seat issue I would have called the cops and given them the license number. The smoking thing unfortunately there is nothing you could do about that.

    Answer by aeneva at 7:51 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.