social anxiety disorder

My 8 year old son has always been scared of any social situtation. I have been trying to get help from the school and doctors every since he was in Kindergarten but no one would listen to me. Now he is in the thrid grade and the school finally tested him because of a teacher not because of me cause like I said no one would listen to me. I was always told he would grow out of it. Anyway the school finally tested him and he have a emotional and behavioral disorder. I took him to a mental health dr. today and he has according to the dr. social anxiety disorder. The dr. said that he might have to take medicine along with seeing him for theapy. Do any of you mother have a child or know a child around this age with this disorder? If so, do any of them have to take medicine? If they do what do they take, what kind of side effect do it have, and is it helping the child in social situtation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:15 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Health

• I know someone with this disorder, but not this age. They do take a medicine and it has helped calm them down in social situations. Sorry he is going through this, and I hope he can get the help he needs now that you know the problem! Good luck mamma!
    avpriddis

Answer by avpriddis at 7:16 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• My son had this same issue and he was fine with just counseling. He still is better when situations are familiar to him and he knows people. He doesn't like change and new things, but he has learned to deal with it. I also have anxiety and hate large groups or crowded places, I am on Xanax for panic/anxiety attacks and that helps me when I have to be in a crowded place. I would try therapy first and see if he can do it without meds, but if he needs the meds give them to him.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:45 PM on Apr. 27, 2009