How old is a child when they can start clipping their own finger/toe nails?

My daughter is almost 9 and has done her own for quite a while, but my son (6 1/2) practically has to be held down to get it done!

sparrowprincess

Asked by sparrowprincess at 7:24 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I bit my nails & toes as a child, so I dunno...lol. Just try teaching him & let him do it on his own when He can do it well & carefully.
    paige8608

Answer by paige8608 at 7:28 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• It depends a lot on the child. I usually ask my kids do you want me to do it, or do you want to do it yourself. I'd certainly have to pin down my younger one kicking and screaming if I were to do his, so he does his own. He has been doing his own since he was 6.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:46 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• My SS can pick and bite both his finger and toenails down by himself - and he's 5! LOL (No, I don't encourage the habit!)
    Anonymous

• ya my son is 7 and is doing it, i gotta check to make sure he does it right but he does it thank god.
    lienna

Answer by lienna at 10:30 PM on Apr. 27, 2009