How do I get my 12 month old to drink from a sippy cup...updated

Ok, so I guess I should have given more detail when I asked this before. The reason he does not drink from it because he wants to bang it on anything he can, high chair, table, floor, anywhere! Or if I give him the ones with the soft mouth piece he wants to chew on it. I have taken the piece out and held it for him so it just pours out and he knows juice/water are in it and have put the sippy piece back in and he does not want to suck on it. But if I let him hold it he pounds it on the table.

Randi11

Asked by Randi11 at 7:33 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't give him a bottle anymore. When he is thirsty, he'll drink.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:34 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• He is probably pounding it because he likes the sound it makes. Try giving it to him over a different surface.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 7:36 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• If he doesn't treat the cup as a cup (banging it like a toy) take it away. Tell him if he wants to drink he can have it back.

Plus, he knows he's going to get a bottle to drink from so why should he even try the sippy?
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:38 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• It's probably just a phase. Good luck. I hope he doesnt throw it like my son did. Talk about breaking stuff!
    beingamomrocks1

Answer by beingamomrocks1 at 8:41 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• if he is 12 months, I'm assuming he's on milk now. Are you giving him milk in a bottle and juice and water in a sippy? This may be part of the problem. He may just not like the juice or water. Give him all his liquids in the sippy. Nubys I find are the best ways to switch them. They also have a sports sippy nipple, that is similar to a bottles nipple, but shaped like a straw, and better for their teeth, because they learn to use the straw ones faster this way.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:05 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• hi, My son uses nuby they go from anipplie like nipple all the way to straw. How I got my son to take the sippy, was when he was starting to get teird for nap time I put Pop Cuz he hates pop in his bottle and nice warm milk which he loves in the sippy after some winying and stuff he finally went to sleep and drunk out of the sippy.... Just which one would you choice if you got both? COLD yucky pop WARm nice milk/.
    Dallasmommie

Answer by Dallasmommie at 7:08 AM on Apr. 28, 2009