which translation?

There has a been a lot about mistranslation lately. Apparently this mistranslations that happened the better part of 2000 years ago is easily fixed on cafemom.

What makes you so sure the re translations are not the ones wrong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:41 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• When someone posts 6 separate sources all indicating the original is inaccurate, I think it's a safe bet your original is wrong.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:46 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• You believe in the new translations of the Bible not panicking? Since there are 6 different sources?
    Anonymous

• I like to use many translations because they all something additional to offer. I don't think any of the ones I use are mistranslated, its just that the original text, whether in hebrew or greek, don't have a direct word to translate to english etc. there may be a few english words that could be used kwim? I like to use commentary as well when I really study the bible.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 7:50 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I agree with NotPanicking.

I don't think the translation ifs 'fixed' on Cafemom. You are probably just learning about it because you haven't ever really researched the possibility before. By researching on your own, you should be able to learn a lot of information about Biblical translation.

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 7:52 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I also have to say...I don't think ANY are 100% correct. But I do think there better translations than others though.
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 7:54 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I agree with hannahwill, none are 100% correct! Overtime things are left out because a church or person doesn't believe in that particular aspect, or they slightly change it to something they want it to mean, or think will help others understand it better. The version I read I believe to be the most complete. I don't think we should deviate from what God has written or try to put it in simpler terms. It is God's word and unless He changes it it ought to stay the way it was written.
    avpriddis

Answer by avpriddis at 7:59 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

Nope, I believe they are all wrong, but that's irrelevant. You're talking about etymology. When someone can show you 6 different credible sources saying this word means X and not Y, you're doing nothing but making an ass of yourself if all you can do is accuse them of "being misled by some new translation."
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:11 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I have mentioned this several times but it is obvious people do not listen or read or something like that.
    I use the NASB because its a translation bible translated from the Greek, Hebrew and Aramaic. For indepth studies it is best to refer to a translation bible but for easier reading , the paraphrase bible would be more suitable for some people. I will post a list for you that I have found...
    About the King James
    So what is wrong with the good old King James Version? It probably is the most beautiful, elegant, literary English translation that will ever be produced. In fact, it contributed a great deal to the formation of the English language. Modern translations usually lack the poetry of the King James because modern biblical scholars are more scientists than artists.

Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:36 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Nevertheless, there are two major problems with the King James Version. First of all, when it was translated in 1611, there were relatively few Hebrew and Greek manuscripts available and they tended to be recent and less accurate. In the nearly 400 years since then literally thousands more manuscripts have been discovered, ranging from small portions to complete copies of the Old or New Testaments. Many of these are very early and more accurate.

Secondly, the English in the King James Version is not at all the same language spoken today. Both the vocabulary and grammar have changed considerably. As a result, a reader often must retranslate the King James into modern English in his or her mind. For many people, especially children, reading the King James Version is like reading a foreign language.
    Shaneagle777

• So Which is for Me?
    Which brings us to the numerous modern translations. Most of these have been produced by fine scholars using the many thousands of manuscripts available today. Different translations are better for various purposes.

If you are interested in serious study of the Bible, including grammar and vocabulary, you will want a more literal translation, such as the English Standard Version, New King James, or New American Standard. However, it is always good to compare several translations, especially for passages that are difficult to understand. If you are interested in reading the Bible in large blocks, you probably will prefer one of the freer translations (not necessarily less accurate), such as the New International, New Living Translation, or Contemporary English Version.

The following is an annotated list of the most popular modern English translations.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:37 PM on Apr. 27, 2009