Do you have to wait to have sex after getting the mirena put in, and if so how long

wv_mom

Asked by wv_mom at 3:00 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Health

• The doctor that put it in said i could have sex that same day, and i did, with no protection, and i didn't get prego. :-) But you do have to go back in a month and have it checked because very rarely they will fall out(my doctor said i would notice it if it had) or even rarer the will migrate up further then that are supposed to be.
    Rachel1786

Answer by Rachel1786 at 3:20 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• about a week. Then you're good to go. You should have a check with your dr. about a month (I believe) to make sure it's still in place. I am still able to feel the string after 2 years.

Check with your dr.
    cdschmidt

Answer by cdschmidt at 3:09 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Thanks for your replies. This is what I found on the new zeland version of the mirena site (why do they have different q/a section for different countries?).
    How long should I wait to have sexual intercourse after the insertion?
    To give your body a rest, it is best to wait about 24 hours after having MIRENA inserted before having sexual intercourse. However, as soon as it is inserted, MIRENA will prevent pregnancy.
    wv_mom

Answer by wv_mom at 3:27 PM on Jun. 18, 2008