Are you concerned that the swine flu could affect you and your family?

Tell me your concerns, thoughts, and if you plan on doing anything special because of this outbreak.

loving_life508

Asked by loving_life508 at 8:11 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Health

• Nothing more than usual. During flu season I make sure to take extra precautions and wipe down routinely touched places and things in our home...the light switches, faucet knobs, door knobs, etc....Remind my family to wash their hands, not to shake a person's hand and to avoid putting their hands to their face (mouth and eyes) without washing them first. As long as people follow simple hygiene practices then it shouldn't be that big of a deal...but most people don't practice simple hygiene practices.
    Anonymous

• honestly, in the US the cases have not been as bad as they have been in mexico, and what really would you do aside from quaranteening (sp?) your whole family until it isn't an issue? if you take regular health precautions just like for the reg flu you should be fine according to everything in articles. i can't see running around fearing i'll get a disease unless its so close a neighbor or close friend/family member already has it, than what is the point of living life that way?
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 8:15 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• well, All of the above and also, stock up on some nose and mouth masks, just in case, have household disinfectants and use them, GermX and improve on my own imune system, eating healthy.... and lots of prayers, more diseases and pandemics , and pestilences like this one are expected ,
    ashleyamanda

Answer by ashleyamanda at 9:03 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I am concerned as I am pregnant, and worried about contracting it and how it will affect my baby. There really isn't anything I can do other than what I normally do to prevent contracting the flu. I am purchasing some handwipes-- not the gel sanitizers-- to wipe my hands and other objects I touch. I have been told that the gel sanitizers evaporate too quickly to do any good. unless you use a big glop that takes at least 15 seconds to evaporate.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 9:40 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I am a tad nervous... not just because I am pregnant either. I do not want to get some virus that has killed people. However... I am probably over reacting a little. Its symptoms are just like the regular flu. I always wash my hands a lot, but am doing it a little more now. Wiping down surfaces in my home etc.
    kemmerer411

Answer by kemmerer411 at 10:31 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• im worried because im in san diego (loose borders next to mexico) and flying to philly, where there are supposed cases being investigated.
    PLus just being in an airport/plane for hours with potential flu cases. freaks me out.
    i wouldnt be worried if i werent traveling, or if i didnt have a little one, and wasnt possibly/trying to get pregnant.

so yeah im worried.

on the plane im bringing disinfectant wipes, and a ton of hand sanitizer. maybe masks too.

gross
    redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 11:08 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I'm concerned, but not freaking out. I am flying to Southern Cali from texas.... Dallas no less (yeah, frying pan to the fire) and bringing my 4 year old. We will wear masks and bring a gallon of hand sanitizer.... ALTHOUGH i am going to try to use regular soap and water as much as possible because if you use hand sanitizer too much, you render it useless. PLUS, I am going to need to see my mom in the hospital because she is having surgery! UGH. Going to take precautions there too. LOL... one more thought, no one in the US is dieing, and the regular flu kills 20,000+ people a year, so I am really not too alarmed.
    4theLoveofLovey

Answer by 4theLoveofLovey at 12:03 AM on Apr. 28, 2009