Swine Flu

Do you really think it's as bad as the media is making it out to be? I'm just thinking they made a big deal out of the bird flu and it turned out to be not that big a deal. Anyone else agree they're exaggerating?

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 8:29 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm not worrying about it until I feel I have real reason to.
    Mangy_Momma

Answer by Mangy_Momma at 8:32 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I don't give a rip what the media are saying. The CDC and WHO assure me it is not to be taken lightly. The same strain is now found in at least 4 different countries. Just because bird flu was contained primarily to China does not mean it wasn't a deadly threat. Only that all the precautions worked. Influenza id dangerous anytime. Certain strains have potential to be more deadly due to mutations. When a virus mutates there is no natural or acquired immunity to the mutation therefore it is much harder for your body to fight. My kids schools have been closed down for a week. 2 of the confirmed cases live less than 5 miles to my house. The health department is taking it very seriously. Is media full of scare=mongers..absolutely. Research and choose the truth for yourself.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:35 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• No, not really. They just shut down an elementary school nearby because they had confirmed cases. They shut it down for a week. Now, what's here in the US isn't as bad (yet) as what's in Mexico, but it could turn deadly. They don't know how long this has been circulating Mexico...their government really has dropped the ball. I am concerned because the flu is the flu...I had my kids vaccinated but obviously it doesn't protect against this. They don't even know yet HOW this jumped from pigs to humans...all they know is that it carries the swine, bird and human virus all in one. If everyone practiced simple hygiene, then the spread of this would not be that big of an issue, but not everyone covers their mouth when they cough and certainly not everyone washes their hands after they use the bathroom.
    Anonymous

• There is no way to know, since it's likely in the beginning stages. They are probably looking at how it's effected other countries and basing their level of concern on that. Plus, they say we are overdue for a pandemic (experts, I don't have specific names).

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:36 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I think that it's wise to keep a watch on it, see how things go. I hope they are going overboard, but think it's better to be safe than sorry.
    gludwig2000

Answer by gludwig2000 at 8:48 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Even they say they are doing more than is needed right now, in order to help prevent this from getting worse. Americans have died from this. And the biggest issue is that swine flu was previously only passed from animal to people and it has mutated to pass from human to human. This could lead to a whole new strain of virus forming/mutating and who knows what could happen from that? Viruses are scary and can be deadly. People without medical knowledge don't grasp the severity of the situation, b/c they have been "informed" about viruses that are generally mild...regular flu, childhood diseases, etc. and they don't understand the intrest in THIS flu as opposed to all the others.

There are mild viruses like the flu, colds, and such BUT remember that things like AIDS and Ebola are also viruses and can cause devestation.

Don't panic or anything, just be cautious and informed.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 8:54 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I became aware of the Swine Fle when the CDC held a press conference to explain about the symptoms and gave the facts. I also saw the Homeland Security press conference and I am sure that neither of these agencies are going to go on National TV and give statements if this is not to be taken seriously. You have to remember that humans can be just a carrier of germs and never get the flu. So, yes, I think we should ALL take this very seriously and be very watchful and well informed. Go to the CDC or Homeland Security website if for no other reason then to keep up on the situation at hand. This could become a full blown global epidemic if not taken seriously.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 8:57 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• How the virus is spreading
    Anonymous

• I've read New Zealand is up to 56 people they're now testing for the Swine Flu some where. These things can get really nasty, really fast. Imagine what would happen if it became resistant to some of our anti-viral drugs. This was discovered two weeks ago and now looks to be in 15 countries that we know of. Even if it causes minor symptoms in most people, that rate of transmission is unheard of.
    smalltowngal

Answer by smalltowngal at 10:01 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Where did the statistics come from? Ireland and Italy do not have the same flag.
    Anonymous