UTI in little girls?

My dd is 17 months old. It seems like everythimg she pees, she bends over, cries and holds her diaper. She has a rash in that area too. How do i know if she has a uti or not?

jessduncan77

Asked by jessduncan77 at 8:30 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It can happen so see the doc
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 8:31 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Could be....make an appt. My dd had a hard time with those at that age too....
    nikkileerue

Answer by nikkileerue at 8:32 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• The problem is you can't tell the differnce. She needs to be evaluated. It may be a UTI or it may be the ammonia in her urine burning the rash. Either way she needs to be seen.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:41 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• warning their way of testing a child who is not potty trained is with a cathadear (i can't spell) it hurts like hell if you have never had one. ( a little tube put in the spot where you pee to get some pee, thats the best descrip i can give) it only has to stay in for a few mins if that but its still hard to watch. my dd was 7 months and had to have one so they could see if she had a UTI i had to stand in the corner b/c i wanted to snatch her up and run. (it may be diff since she is older, just wanted to give fair warning in case thats how your doc does it b/c i was totally unprepared)
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 8:42 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• They don't always use a catheter, I had to get a few urine samples from my daughter when she was 6-7 mo and they also have a little bag thing that sticks to them that catches the pee. When you go to the dr, make sure she has plenty to drink!
    monkeyberry

Answer by monkeyberry at 9:14 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• She needs to go to the doctor!
    goldenfox

Answer by goldenfox at 9:23 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• somethng worth getting checked out. My doctor ignored us and my dd ended up in the hospital for 4 days because of a uti when she was 18 months old. She ran 105 temp and ended up dehydrated before they did anything.
    aeemom

Answer by aeemom at 10:15 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• You would need to go see a doctor to get a urinalisis (sp?) to see if she has a uti or not. Both my daughters have had one, but they were only 5 months old. I only knew they had uti's because they spiked really high fevers, so I took them to the doc.
    Lanasmom06

Answer by Lanasmom06 at 10:39 PM on Apr. 27, 2009