When do i remove the bumper pad?

I have heard alot about removing a childs bumper pad from there crib when there older, but am not so sure, why, or when? my daughter is 10months, walking, and standing in her crib. do we reove them so there arms,legs dont get trapped? she likes to sleep with her head against her bumper, so do i take it off?

kyliebugs_mommy

Asked by kyliebugs_mommy at 8:31 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I am having the same issue. I don't know when to do it and I don't want her to stand on it and get extra leverage to pull herself out of her crib. I hope someone has some good advice!
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:33 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I just took them out when my kids were old enough to stand in the crib. If they can stand on the bumper, it can no longer really do it's job, is how I see it.
    Mangy_Momma

Answer by Mangy_Momma at 8:34 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I'm keeping the bumper in my son's crib in there. He can stand in his crib but he also falls and rolls around a lot and bumps his head on every other part of the crib so I figure I might as well leave it in there for SOME padding. If I ever catch him trying to stand on it to get out then I might take it out but for now it stays.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 8:37 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• We never used them... but I think if they're standing they could stand up a little higher and possibly climb out easier? Besides the SIDS considerations (which you're out of risk age for), I thought that climbing was the reason people removed them, not because they get caught.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:38 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I took my kids' out when they could stand because they would just stand on it and get it all messed up and they would use it as a prop to get out so I finally took it off....I don't think it really matters when you take it off.
    nikkileerue

Answer by nikkileerue at 8:40 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I took my daughters out when she started standing up. She started to use it as a way to crawl out of her crib.
    ktandcjsmommy

Answer by ktandcjsmommy at 8:43 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• The bumpers should have between 2-7 months. After that, they are no longer an issue. (it's because of SIDs) That they want you to remove them at these ages, to prevent suffication.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:50 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• My daughter is 5 months old and we never used them!
    sunshine21pa

Answer by sunshine21pa at 10:11 PM on Apr. 27, 2009