For Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses....

What do you REALLY want from me when I open that door?

I have visitors of this nature about once a month. I don't want to be rude. I know this is your thing and are just trying to help people that may not have any direction in their lives and no way of finding it on their own. But, I won't change my mind on my beliefs (Agnostic, so I'm actually pretty open to ideas) or convert to a specific religion. I could let you in and we could discuss theology...but I would be wasting your time. And leading you on?

Would you rather I just say "No thanks, I'm good" at the begining or would you feel better just talking to me? Even if you KNOW I won't be converting...What do you really want when I'm at the door?

ozarkgirl3

Asked by ozarkgirl3 at 8:45 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• As a former mormon missionary I can tell you all they really wanna do is share their message of Christ and the restored church.
    If people disagree or arent interested thats cool, just let them know and they will go. Now, being human, some of them might not take no too quickly but we are taught to do so. We are also taught not to argue points but to bear our testimonies and move on.

As for the service the Elder offered to you Ozarkgirl....we are to do community service for several hours a week and so if we can help out we ask and try to do just that. Which is good, its always nice to help out and give back where possible.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 9:36 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Good question, I am curious too.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 8:46 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I'm not a JW or LDS... but I think that all they want is a chance to talk, to say their piece. I have never had any who got upset if I disagreed, or said my beliefs, or asked questions - even questions that were challenging. They just want to feel like they connected with someone who was respectful, courteous, hospitable, and willing to dialogue with them -- even if that person didn't show ANY signs of converting. I always invite them in and give them whatever refreshments we have. I figure they've probably had a rough day LOL and my smile might be the only one they see while they do what is an important part of their spirituality. I find them to be less intrusive than people of some other denominations who are not going door to door but are far less respectful in their approach.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 8:53 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• When they knock on my door, I just want to corrupt them (especially the hot ones), lol...

Anonymous

• haha... I have a friend who when they came to her door she said, "before we begin could I pray for you?" She said they politely declined and left... I don't know why because I don't know what they believe really, I just thought it was funny... and GREAT question! Would LOVE to know the answer to this.
    Anonymous

• LMAO Anon:55!!!

The Mormon boys that came to my door this weekend were smoking hot! And one of them DID ask if I needed any help that day! Oh the things that went through my head! LOL...Good thing for them that I'm married w/kids!
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 8:57 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• mainly we are looking for those persons who want to here about the good news of God's Kingdom that Jesus is King of, we want those people to know that their loved ones who have died aren't burning but are asleep in the grave until Jesus calls them to come out, we want those people to learn that God is going to bring about a time when there will be no more wars, and all who want can live forever right here on this earth. and since we don't know who is interested we keep coming back because Jesus said at Matthew 24:14 that this Good News must be Preached for a witness to all the Nations before the end would come.
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 9:21 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• We're there to tell you your not going to Hell? LOL
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 9:24 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I have a sign on my door that says This a Catholic Home ..they don't even bother to ring the door bell
    juju40

Answer by juju40 at 1:09 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I tell them that I'm a "born again" christain, for some reason that REALLY, REALLY bothers them ??????
    GmaPam7257

Answer by GmaPam7257 at 1:33 AM on Apr. 28, 2009