going to the mosque/masjid w/hubby, what can i expect?

hello girls! i'm going to the friday prayers w/my hubby (he's muslim, i'm not) & was curious as to what to wear what to expect, what to do, ect. i just want to go see what it's like, curious i guess.

beachmom0703

Asked by beachmom0703 at 8:47 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• You really need to ask him.

I know that in some mosques, women have to enter through a side/back door & aren't allowed in the same room(s) with the men. You're probably required to wear a hajib, too ---- but I'm really not sure.

No first-hand knowledge.... just what I've heard. Where I used to work, my friend (who had the desk next to mine) was the wife of a minister & the IT guy was a devout Muslim --- made for interesting conversations. These were the rules at his Mosque.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 9:05 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I googled but didn't find much. Probably you'll sit in a different area. Dress conservatively- I'd suggest long sleeves, and bring a scarf for your head just in case. From what I could find, not all mosques welcome non-believers, so your husband may wish to inquire and also to ask about dress codes.

Answer by Bmat at 10:06 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• You should probably wear a long skirt (no slit in it) and long sleeves, and a scarf for your hair. If you are not going to take part in the prayers then stand or sit to the side, as everyone in the rows should be praying. The women may be behind the men, or in a different area altogether, and as a previous poster said they may have different doors. Make sure you take off your shoes before you enter the prayer hall. Generally once you enter the prayer area people don't chit-chat, even if the formal prayers haven't started. Don't sit in the chairs if there are any - these are usually reserved for people who can't sit/stand for the prayers. People will do some individuals prayers, then the imam will lead a group prayer - the imam will usually give a speach and people may do some more infdividual prayers. During the group prayer you can just follow along with the motions if you like.
    b_cheerful

Answer by b_cheerful at 11:55 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Also, don't expect someone to come up and greet you like in a church. At any mosque I have been at people tend to stick to their ethnic group, and may not realize you have never been there before. I would recommend to find a nice looking woman and say Asalam alaikum to her, tell her you have never been to a mosque before and ask her what to do. Once you make the first step, people will generally be very nice, but they are often shy at coming up to you too.

Good luck.
    b_cheerful

Answer by b_cheerful at 11:58 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Don't suppose you can JUST SAY NO!?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:24 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• hey anon....but why would i just say no??? i guess u didn't read the question...it's not "omg my muslim husband is dragging me 2 the mosque & says i must convert!"....i would like to go to learn more about his religion, because I want 2...what's wrong w/that? u should go read a book, stop being stupid....

and 2 all the other ladies thank u so much for ur answers & help it was really sweet!
    beachmom0703

Answer by beachmom0703 at 9:42 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I just went through this experience yesterday! It was my first time going to the mosque. I said Shahada in front of the Imam. I had to enter through a different door and the women were seperate from the men even while eating! I missed my husband. The ladies were sooooo nice. They all kissed me and one lady even bought coffee and donuts for me after I sad Shahada. I covered my hair and wore jeans and a long sleeve shirt. Also you must remove your shoes when entering the mosque. I had a lot of fun and am going back tonight!
    mommytobe921

Answer by mommytobe921 at 3:49 PM on Aug. 29, 2009