Does anyone experience ageism?

I'm 22yr. and admit I look way younger. When my DH and I wanted to buy a house a couple of years ago, we had a hard time getting a realtor. We have excellent credit and a steady income, even qualified for a loan already, down payment ready and everything..good customers for house buying..but they didn't want to help us in our search. We eventually found an amazing realtor through DH's aquaintances but I felt if we would have sent our parents in first, we would of had better luck.
Even DH was passed over for a job promotion once by an older woman with less work experience and less knowledge over that business field. My DH was the one that trained her when she first got hired on...age might not have been the real issue but it sure does look that way.
Anyone else experience this? Are you too old or too young?? Do people think you're not as good or as importand b/c of your age???

lilmommy0416

Asked by lilmommy0416 at 8:48 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes, I've been passed up for many positions that I was qualified for because of my age. It sucks but it happens. People seem to think that ageism only comes into play with older people but it goes both ways.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 9:03 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I have had clients request my files be transferred from me because they thought I was too young. Although I've been in my field for 5 years, they continually think I'm fresh out of school and just cutting my teeth.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 9:27 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• When I was 22 and already an Army Veteran; I was the supervisor of a woman who was 60. I had customers asking to speak to her assuming she was in charge. They were shocked when I told them I was the supervisor.
    coutterhill

Answer by coutterhill at 9:32 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• My husband is only 36 but got passed over for a job because they wanted a younger person they could pay less than him. He switched companies and has a much better job and the younger guy that got my husbands promotion could not hack it and they begged him to come back.

As a realtor I am skeptical of younger people. I have been burned more times than not by younger couples. They will say they have financing secure only to find out once the offer is written they do not. I look like an idiot. So the only way I will take on clients under 25 is to see an actual pre approval and speak with the lender. I have only had one person over 25 do this but they had their financing in a day or two. I have dealt with 30 couples under 25 all but 4 screwed me over. I can understand where the realtors were coming from.
    Anonymous

• When I was in my 20's I went to a job interview and was asked quite nastily "How could you possibly have this much experience at your age?" I was 27, I had nine years of work experience! After that, I started to wear my hair in a bun and put on glasses for all my job interviews. I did everything possible to make myself look older.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:55 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I have actually turned down a job as a financial planner because of ageism. I was offered the job when I was 20 and I thought for sure a married couple in their mid-fourties wouldn't take me seriously about planning their retirement when I wasn't even old enough to drink. It happens, and it sucks, but I don't really know much you can do about it. Except laugh at all those realtors who passed up a big fat comission check when they turned you down. Now who looks naive?
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 10:08 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Ageism happens with all ages. If its not one thing its another. Not saying its right to all our sorrow it is that way.
    lbranta

Answer by lbranta at 10:22 PM on Apr. 27, 2009