Taggers/gangs

ok so I know taggers are the same as gangs. my son has been drawing tagger style drawings. I clean them out always and trash them. Questions what does a star mean? I let him put a star on his head (at the barber they shaved a star) Idk what does it mean he has been drawing stars?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:55 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Is it just a normal five point star or a six point(basically the star of david).
    The five point star is just a normal star, it has no gang offiliations, the six point however is the sign of GDs.
    LadyJayne27

Answer by LadyJayne27 at 9:04 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Not every tagger is in a gang, some people are just interested in the way it looks. It is an art style and when done correctly and in an artistic way (and legally) it is amazing!
    Domzmom2005

Answer by Domzmom2005 at 9:26 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Taggers are often gang wannabes. Sometimes, tagging is a precursor to an gang moving in. It should not be ignored. If you live in Chicago, contact your local CAPS office; if you live somewhere else, contact your local community policing office.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:31 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Taggers are NOT the same as gangs. It's just an art style, some taggers are IN gangs, but that doesn't mean that the two terms are interchangeable. I'd be incredibly upset if I spent time on a drawing just to have my mother throw it away.
    catwalksymphony

Answer by catwalksymphony at 9:31 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• well in this case he brought home bad grades and he said its not as bad as his friends. WHAT??? I see why his grades are so bad his friends.... and he is spending time tagging on paper instead of spending time on completing assignments.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Based on your last comment, this could be very serious, and you need to intervene. Start with the school counselor; make an appointment today.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:58 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• oh I am. I sat in his class and he was so upset. he said all the kids were asking who's mom was that after I left and he stayed quiet. lol. I am now pulling all his homework assignments from the schools web page too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Just because he is drawing graffiti style art does not mean that he is involved with gangs. He may just be trying to express himself through his art. My son went thru this type of drawing style and he is just fine. Keep in mind he is a TEEN.
    dillonsma

Answer by dillonsma at 3:03 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• ^
    what she said.

The 6 point star is a gang symbol, but maybe he just likes the way it looks. Leave the poor kid alone in that, or ask him if he's in a gang. Most of the time, if you want to join someone you hafta get a tattoo or a beating right away so use that as a gauge of any real affiliation.
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 4:21 PM on Apr. 29, 2009