Are birds good pets? What kind?

I've been thinking about getting one with the idea that it would be less work than a puppy. Are they good pets? What kind is a good one with kids? The youngest is 8 and really mature, so being rough with it isn't an issue. I don't know anything about them but always thought one that could be trained to talk would be cool. Any suggestions or advice?

Sue41

Asked by Sue41 at 9:00 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Pets

• birds are just has hard if not harder than a puppy.

1.birds want and need there cage cleaned daily
    2.they have to have interaction daily or they will become screamers and start plucking there feathers
    3. You have to change there toys weekly so they dont get bored and start plucking feathers

I would recomend a guinie pig for a child

Birds especially talkers need lots of care.

pixxydust

Answer by pixxydust at 10:31 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• i have had birds and never really liked them they were annoying and the ones that we had could oen their cage it was a wicked pain in the ass
    jac1908

Answer by jac1908 at 9:03 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• If you do get a bird I would suggest one that has been hand fed as the parent raised ones can be hard to tame.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 9:11 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I have 4 chickens. They are fantastic pets, and you get eggs. Mine are bantam, which equates to "mini" and cochins, which means they have feathers on their feet, making them really cute. We got them as chicks from a feed store, and they wander in the yard when we're home. They're great about eating bad insects, and they fertilize where they poop.

Surprisingly, they're very interactive. I had no idea chickens could be so fun before we rescued two of them, and got some more as companions. They like to be held, generally want to hang with us when outside, and will actually fly up on our shoulder. A lot of cities now allow chickens as pets, too.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 9:25 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Parakeets can be fun as well. The males can be taught to talk and can learn to be pretty friendly if you spend enough time with them. My son has had one for close to 5 years now. He talks up a storm ( pretty bird, chicken butt, pretty chicken butt, aw, give us a kiss) are some of the words he speaks.
    Some conures can learn to talk as well, best get a hand fed baby for that one though. Their squawk can be a little loud. I had a half moon conure ( used to breed birds), she was very affectionate. She loved to sit on my shoulder giving me kisses.
    Wlknshoes42mile

Answer by Wlknshoes42mile at 9:02 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• most birds are one person birds..not sure if a bird for the "family" would be the greatest pet choice..but try a parakeet
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 11:42 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I like the chicken idea, who'd a thiunk chickens would like to be held?
    We only had a parakeet when oldest dd was little, my dog got it and killed it.
    my sister had a parrot, expensive one, they live longer than some people, he could talk, pretty good, but didn't like women, her ex got custody, but it had to be given away when ex got sick. I think if we ever move back to the other house I'm getting me some chickens, I suppose they'd drive Lucy (the dog) nuts.
    Minnesotamom

Answer by Minnesotamom at 9:19 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• My advice to you is getting a hamster.
    Birds are so loud and messy.
    MandyOs

Answer by MandyOs at 9:42 AM on Apr. 29, 2009