Food Stamps and such things.

Do you think that the requirements are to low or the standers all wrong? I mean my family of four with both adults working makes less than 32000 a year and only qualifies for WIC and Peachcare. I feel like I am doing everything right by us both working and getting no help in return. It's not like I am proud of the fact that I can't provide for my family. I know things will get better soon but until then it would be nice to not have to worry about paying the bills mortgage and feeding the kids...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:02 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• i know how you feel. we only apply for wic also. my husband is in the navy, and the navy screwed up his pay check for the past year, and so we have to pay it back which is so dumb. but we'd be lucky to have $20 after we pay all the bills. this paycheck, we wont have a $1 when were done paying bills....
    i know how you feel, i wish i could get a job too, to help out, but all my money would probably go to child care also. =/
    i would LOVE to be on food stamps. $250 a month would help out ALOT.
    kiliki_malie

Answer by kiliki_malie at 12:59 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I understand. I get dirty looks every time I use my EBT card. Even if I am buying baby food!
    Anonymous

• "it would be nice to not have to worry about paying the bills mortgage and feeding the kids..."

Uh yea I'm sure everyone would love to not have to worry about paying bills, mortgage and feeding their kids. Unfortunately, life costs money. Don't forget about those that make just over that limit that are struggling too. Making the income limits higher won't solve anything.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 9:07 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I'm the OP----I would totally take the dirty looks for like 3 months of food stamps
    Anonymous

• Yeah we have no other choice.
    Anonymous

• I have a family of 4 also making 33,000 a year. anything under 40,000 is a joke for a family of four to live on. They say the average family is made up of two adults and two children and that 'middle class' is anything above 40,000 so why set the limit so low for all the non 'middle class' average families? I have to pay 270 a week for my 2 kids to be in daycare. That is half of my pay! I work for practically nothing but I work because I know I should. Even when DFCS told me I should quite my job so that they could 'help me' Why not help those who work and not the ones who sit around on the butt all day? Hand up not Hand out.
    Anonymous

• OP here----legalmommy-- Really I would love it if I was exaggerating but I have a 1030 mortgage to pay each month and then utilities food, including diapers and formula, car ins. is 110 min coverage. Car payment is 220. Day care is 250 a week. Do the math. As soon as my husband can find a different job we will be fine but until then. This doesn't add up to anything but disaster.
    Anonymous

• Yikes, $32,000 is sort of a lot to get benefits. I think here a family of 4 has to make under $2200 to qualify. I'm assuming you have a huge mortgage or something?
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 9:23 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I mean $2200 a month of course...
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 9:31 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Op, I have about 15grand in school debt and I'm still not done with my JD. I also have a mortgage and my entire paycheck goes to the mortgage. I also have small business loans and my business is in the gutter right now because of the economy. While I sympathize with some people because no one could have foreseen what the economy was going to bring, other people just keep popping out kids and play on cafemom while collecting welfare and that's money that is being taken out of my paycheck and away from my family. There is no such thing as the "middle" class anymore, it's been completely wiped out.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 9:31 PM on Apr. 27, 2009