is it normal for a 2 yr old to have erections?

I know its possible & its not sexual but for the past week my son has been getting erections back to back in the evenings. He complains that his penis hurts & keeps going up & doesn't want to keep his underwear on while it happens because it "hurts".
Anyone else's toddler experience this?

marsha78

Asked by marsha78 at 9:14 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yep it's normal. My son is 4 now and he gets them every now and then. He used to get them as a newborn too. Really freaks me out! LOL
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 9:15 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• All boys do it. He just needs to pee or stop touching it. Newborn baby boys will have it as well. Just tell him to stop touching it or go potty and it will go away.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 9:15 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I use to work in a daycare and there were a couple of boys who would sometimes. These boys weren't in underwear yet. Can't give you any advise on how to help your son, though. good luck!
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:16 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Erections are normal, even baby boys in the womb get them - it's an unavoidable and natural part of having a penis. However, the pain doesn't sound normal... I would suspect a UTI or other issue is going on.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 9:16 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I was going to say my son gets them, and he is 2, but he never says that they hurt...If he keeps saying that it hurts, I would think about taking him to see the doctor within the next couple of days.
    CarieP

Answer by CarieP at 9:19 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Yeah I knew it was normal but I think it creeps me out more than anything because he always wants me to look at it! Lol!
    marsha78

Answer by marsha78 at 9:19 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• omg my little boy get erections all the time. I wish someone would have warned me!!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 9:19 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Oh, another thought - is he circumcised? If so, the pain could be from the skin being too tight when he gets an erection.

If he is intact, it might be from adhesions caused by someone who didn't know not to prematurely retract his foreskin, and now that it is beginning to retract on its own (common at that age) the scar tissue is uncomfortably tight.

Either way, it should be mentioned to your HCP.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 9:20 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Now the erection thing I deal with as well, he'll be 3 in june. The "it hurts" could be an itch!? Check his little boy hood and gently attempt to push back the foreskin( after washing your hands) and see if its red and irratated; if it is then call the pediatrician!!!! If its pinkish and doesn't seem abnormal change detergents, or bath soap, if after 2-3 days call doc. Hope this helps!!!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 9:20 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• my son gets them too and he thinks its so funny...he complains of his diapering being on when he is really erected, i would just mention it to the doctor but Im sure he is just fine as long as it doesnt hurt while he is nakey! GL
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 9:21 PM on Apr. 27, 2009