Ear pulling!?!?

When my four month old gets up set she always pulls on her ear. Like I mean really pulls. at first I thought she might have an ear infection...but she only does it when she gets upset. Has anyone else expericenced this with there LO!?!?

Amanduh87

Asked by Amanduh87 at 9:16 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you confirmed that your lo doesn't have an ear infection? I'd check that first to rule it out.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 9:18 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• It sounds like a comfort thing.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 9:18 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• my daughter did that and she ended up having an ear infection.....you might want to get it checked out. better to be safe than sorry!
    mrsmonkeytoes

Answer by mrsmonkeytoes at 9:19 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I noticed my DD pullling on her ear a little a few months ago and since she didn't do it very much I just thought she had discovered her ears and was trying to check them out.... a few days after I first noticed it she got a really high fever and stopped eating. She ended up having an ear infection and needed meds.... I would play it safe and get her checked just to be sure. And if it turns out that there is no infection then its just something she likes to do I guess... GL!
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 10:17 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• my daughter pulls on her ears and rubs her head when shes tired. i thought the same this you did, ear infection when she first started doing it and she didnt have one. then i noticed she only did it when she started getting tired. so first id make sure its not an ear infection then if its not see if she does more torwards nap time or bed time.
    sarrrr13

Answer by sarrrr13 at 10:40 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• My DD did the SAME thing when she was that age. I thought it was an ear infection but when I took her to the Dr. he said she didn't have an infection. I think she just discovered her ears and used it as a comfort thing. She has recently been pulling on them but ear pulling is also a sign of teething (because the pain travels there) and she just got 2 teeth in.
    armygirl16

Answer by armygirl16 at 12:46 AM on Apr. 28, 2009