Increase Breastmilk naturally

My baby is 6 mths old and is on breastmilk , he eats rice cereal and some fruits now and again. But refuses the formula (enfamil Gold), however I believe that my Breastmilk is reducing as I pump for him during the day and Breastfeed exclusively at nights and at weekends.

Please advise me what I should do naturally to increase my supply as sometimes in the day I cannot produce more than 10 oz , . 5 oz in the morning , 10 durning the day..

I currently leave 4 bttls 5 oz each but he now needs more , but I cannot produce anymore. Please Help

JATRINIMOM

Asked by JATRINIMOM at 9:17 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Drink plenty of fluids and increase your food intake. You can also drink a beer to help produce more milk. They have herbal medicines you can take as well. Drink milk and lots of it.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 9:27 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I know this might sound crazy but it works. I had the same problem so my mom made me eat a lot of soup tjhat haas cabbage in it and it worked. She uses chicken thighs to make soup, add carrots, potatoes, and cababage and salt and pepper for taste.
    lily7

Answer by lily7 at 9:27 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• You've done great so far, mama! Around the 6 month mark the breasts become SUPER efficient - they finally really regulate. This can seem like a drop in supply to many mothers, but it's not necessarily. It could be that now, your breasts are supplying exactly they sense is the demand: no more, no less.

Pumping does stimulate supply, but not nearly as effectively as nursing. Putting him to the breast more when you can might help; cosleeping might be a good option for you to make sure you're getting lots of stimulation at night, if you're not already doing this. (It's shown that mamas who share sleep with their babies nurse more at night, but end up getting more sleep than if they got up to feed the baby.) You can also try to get another pumping session in during the day.

Fenugreek is great - take it until you smell like maple syrup! Also Mother's Milk tea is excellent for boosting supply. Good luck!!
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 9:31 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• "Drink plenty of fluids and increase your food intake. You can also drink a beer to help produce more milk." NOT TRUE. Drinking and/or eating more won't help unless you were severely dehydrated or starving to death. Beer is an old wives tale, alcohol can interfere with the letdown reflex making harder to get the milk out. Here are some links to info on pumping more milk at work: http://www.workandpump.com/boosters.htm

http://www.llli.org/NB/NBMayJun08p46.html

http://www.llli.org/NB/NBJulAug96p118.html

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:36 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Thanks for all the help, going to try another pumping session now before I go to bed
    JATRINIMOM

Answer by JATRINIMOM at 10:03 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• oatmeal (which I hate but luckly love oatmeal cookies and I had a good excuse to eat a dozen or more a week..

Hops which you can find in non alcholic drinks like Malta Goya.

And pumping or BFing every 2 hours are all the things that helped me.

My duaghter didn't BF until she was 9 days old because she was in the NICU and they wouldn't let me on account that durrign her first three days she didn't eat at all, then she got fed through a feeding tub and then they wanted to monitor how much she was able to eat and keep down.

I pumpd round the clock every 2 hours. Well by the time she came home she was 10 days old and I tried to stop pumping but couldn't because of how encoraged I'd become and then I'd get pluggd ducts because she was unable to empty my breast out. I was getting 9oz from my right and 8 on my left. I had tons of frozen milk.

Happ-eToBme

Answer by Happ-eToBme at 10:19 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• WOAH you are leaving 20 oz for him daily...thats WAY too much, he needs 1 oz an hour when youa re gone...24-30 oz is the total needed daily, that may be your issue.

Eat oatmeal, try fenugreek pills 9-12 daily, and pump more.

As far as what pumping means for supply it means NOTHING supply is fine..pumping amounts are different.

OH and amounts of BM never need to be increased..in fact once solids are started the amount you give in bottles can go down..
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 10:24 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I agree with Maggiemom...but I have taken EVERY supplement known,,,fenugreek, tincture, mothers milk tea and they all helped a little but recently I found this supplement called Mothers Lactoflow (only avalable online) and it has DOUBLED my supply as I also pump during the day and nurse at nite...good luck...i you don't want to use supplements, I would suggest eating a bowl of oatmeal every day....not the instant stuff. Some good steel cut oatmeal. good luck and you're doing great.
    Anonymous

• mix what you pump with formula. it will get him used to the taste. Im doing it with my little girl so that I can go back to work soon and not have to worry about pumping alot.
    HunnysFarAway

Answer by HunnysFarAway at 12:16 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Drink lots of water. Pump just before you breastfeed, Take brewers yeast tabs. Have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby and relax.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:24 AM on Apr. 28, 2009