iam trynig to potty train my daughter and i need suggestions

i try t o show her how i go ive tried to get pull ups with cool alert on them i have made her sit on the toilet for hours and bought all things to make potty fun and nothing!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:18 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's not her time then. How old is she? Has she taken an interest in the potty herself?
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 9:18 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• She may be to young. Can she tell you she needs to go or show you signs she is going like grabbing at herself or holding her butt if she poops? If not she may not be ready. Get rid of the pull ups and put her in panties so she can feel the wetness of what it is really like to pee herself. Pull ups are over priced diapers and defeat the purpose as it still catches her pee for her and she gets changed.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 9:19 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I think pull-ups are useless or counterproductive. And I wouldn't have her sit for hours on the potty. I'm not a big believer in certain kids not being ready (well, I do think not being ready exists, but not as old as many people say...). I think if she's at least 20 months, she's ready. My daughter was 19 months and didn't show the "readiness signs" and was fine. I used a method where you go straight to underwear and do nothing but potty train for a few days. you watch your child (who's wearing underwear and a shirt, no pants) for signs that they're about to go or already having an accident, and when that happens you very quickly move them to the potty, ideally so that they finish there. If some pee/poo lands in the potty, you reward them. Having them sit for long periods of time can lead to resentment (seeing it as a time out of sorts); this method takes the power struggle out and helps them get the purpose of the potty.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:39 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• (cont'd) There's a lot of info on this method in the CM group "Potty training moms" -- look for a permanent post about the 3-day method. Lots of good advice.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:40 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Try letting her put stickers on her own potty to make it hers Watch for signs that shes ready like having a fit when she's dirty

aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 9:50 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• get her hyped for it just get wicked excited good advice i received was get a clear container fill with her favorite candy give her one for sitting on the potty and trying and then one handful for pee and two handfuls for pooping
    Anonymous

• By the time 21/2 yrs hits, they're ready. Buy regular undies, not pullups, cotton underwear. Then ply her with koolaid & water all day. Every 20 minutes tell her "We're gonna potty", then take her up there. If she's drinking that much and wearing cotton undies, eventually, she'll pee her pants. Explain to the potty to her at that point. Just keep doing it. 2 Days, tops and she'll get the idea. She'll still have accidents and not make it on time, but you'll be suprised.

The pullups are still very absorbent and keep them dry. In undies she knows when she's wet because it is running down her legs.

ninipanini
    ninipanini

Answer by ninipanini at 8:15 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I started potty training my ex's daughter when she was 18mos. At first, she would scream bloody murder when you put her on the potty. So, I got a huge bag of Jelly Beans and put them in a clear Ziplock container on the back of the big potty. Every time she would sit on the potty fully dressed for a minute I would give her a jelly bean. I transitioned her to sitting on it in a pull up, then nothing after about three days each. There were pee trails all over the place for a few days when I put her in panties and we RAN when she was in mid-squat! But every time she would pee in the potty, she'd not only get a jelly bean, but she got to pick the color she wanted and I sang "Pee Pee in the pot-ty!" EVERY time she went and danced. It made her proud to go! And she felt like a big girl! She was in underwear all the time with NO accidents in just 2 wks! *But she didn't get candy on a regular basis, so the Jelly Beans were suh a treat!
    BoogsMom1188

Answer by BoogsMom1188 at 11:54 PM on Apr. 28, 2009