7 1/2 months STILL has colic

so for the first 5 months of my sons life he screamed. Seriously, non-stop. In fact the day before taking him in to have a hernia repair surgery I counted how many hours he cried... 21 hours. When colic got in full swing so did postpartum depression. No matter how much medication I take or how much therapy I get or how many freaking boxes of oreos I eat, when he starts screaming I still want to blow my brains out. Swear to God I have tried everything, he has been given a clean bill of health time after time and I have tried every form of gripe water, teething tablets, herbal remedies, I can think of. I feel like the biggest failure as a moth on the planet. I stay home with him all day and no one is willing to babysit him because he screams so much. Seriously I have been pushed to my breaking point. I dont know how much longer I can deal with this anymore

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:59 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• First of all, shame on your friends for not being willing to help you out. Secondly, this is NOT colic. Colic is gone by now, and I assume you have a doctor on this.

I am just so sorry. This isn't your fault. It seems like you are doing everything. The only further thing I suggest is that you videotape it. Take it to a doctor and say, look, here is a tape of my kid crying nonstop for 18 hours. There's something going on, and someone has to help you find it. Get a new doctor, anything.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 10:03 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I don't know what it is called exactly but has anyone checked his nerves? I am not sure how they go about doing it. We had a child at a daycare that I worked at that at first everyone said he was colicy but it turned out that his nerve endings didn't finish developing. No matter what his parents did he would calm down because it hurt to be touched and to touch anything. As he got older it got better and by the time he was two it all over with. Early intervention was involved and helped out. Not sure if this is what you are dealing with just thought I would throw it out there. This child's one therapist told us that a lot of children are diagnosed with colic when it is really their nerve endings.
    Anonymous

• Our friend's baby had colic until he was 9 months. Hylands teething drops and weak chamomile tea will help. He could be affected by stress around him, or have a food allergy. Have you fed him any allergy trigger foods, like dairy, wheat, soy, etc?

Answer by rkoloms at 5:21 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• My daughter had colic for day one, we tried changeing formulas and everything. at about a year old she still was haveing problems he put her on zantac drops for babys and she was on those for 6 months and has not had a problem sence. if heartburn or acid reflux runs in the family talk to the babys doctor about it because my daughters doctor thinks it was a touch of infant acid reflux the whole time and never was colic.
    ashleywilkerson

Answer by ashleywilkerson at 1:45 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• If you havent already tried them get the colic tablets from walgreens (they are homeopathic so there is no acutal medicine in them you can look them up on their web site walgreens.com )there a life saver all my friends that have had or are getting ready to have a baby i have went and got these for them they all agree that they are the best
    ashleywilkerson

Answer by ashleywilkerson at 1:52 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• you poor thing!!! I had PPD and I can't imaging being depressed and having a baby cry that much. You should switch drs for sure and take your baby in and ask them to admit him to figure out what's wrong so u can have some quiet and sleep.
    Anonymous

• Get me your name and number and the city you live in. I will find someone to help you. You can email me kaitlyn.altman@gmail.com I want to help
    Kaitlyn0816

Answer by Kaitlyn0816 at 8:59 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I'm so sorry to hear that. My daughter is like that. She's 7 weeks and started acting up around 3 weeks. I've been at home on maternity leave with her by myself since then. Some days I don't know how I'm going to handle it. People think I"m overreacting b/c she does have her good moments and she's not constantly screaming, but seriously, sometimes the crying makes me want to go ballistic. My DH is working and his solution is to let her CIO, but that only upsets her more, so I end up wearing her constantly and bouncing on a yoga ball (what I'm doing now). I just take it one day at a time and am very calmed in knowing that a few months or even a year of someone's life is such a short time. This will pass. I feel for you.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 1:46 AM on Apr. 29, 2009