Gift for daughters adoptive mother

Hi. I am looking to get something special for my daughters mother. I am the birthmother. It will be 2 yrs in July since the placement. However Mothers Day and her (amoms) bday is coming up and I just wanted to get her something besides the usual card. Any ideas???

TLW514

Asked by TLW514 at 10:05 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Adoption

• You could do a nice picture frame. Or even a necklace with your daughter's picture (you can make really neat ones at Snapfish.com)
    MommyDumDum

Answer by MommyDumDum at 10:07 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I just love flowers. My son's amom gave me Starburst lilies when I was on the Maternity ward. I think of her every time I see them. When I saw her again for the first time 18 years later I took her a huge display of them.

onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 11:15 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• OP, what a nice refreshing question to hear. I am sure no matter what you get her, she will cherish simply because it came from you. I like things that can be kept year after year, picture frames, token jewlery, etc.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:02 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• As an adoptive mom I would love it if my son's bmom sent pictures of herself as a child - that way my child as he got older can see (maybe) some of the same things in him at his age in his bmom at that stage/age. If she wanted to send something that was just for me I would have to say that perhaps a locket with her photo or some picture that meant something to her. This way I could pass it to my child when the time comes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:13 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I found some wonderful adoption themed jewlery (not expensive) on the internet. I don't remember the sites, but there were quite a few of them I found just by googling adoption jewlery.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 1:39 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• How funny that someone else suggested baby pictures of yourself - I figured I'd be the only one - ha!

It's neat for us a-parents to have baby pictures of our child's birthparents. I have some from both sides of his familly and at some points he resembles one side and at other points he's resembled the other. And of course it's awesome for the kids to have those also. I'm waiting for the day that Joshua can really understand who's eyes he has, who's lips etc. etc.

Well I'm rambling - sorry! I vote for pictures and if you can do some from both your childhood and her father's that would be extra neat.

Oh also, I think the "Willow Tree" figurines are so nice. They are at most Hallmark stores and have some really touching ones.

(((HUGS)))
    blessed3times

Answer by blessed3times at 9:33 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I think the picture suggestions is a great idea!
    casjoh

Answer by casjoh at 1:21 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• As a A mom, the only thing I can think that I would want would be pics for my sons. it sounds like you have a pretty open relationship with the aparents, so don't know if they have pics or not. I think the idea of pics of you as a child would be awesome. I have one pic of one of my son's bparents at court. My second son, I have no pics. I'm grateful for the one pic I do have for my first.
    jothra

Answer by jothra at 1:26 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• I really like the idea of pics of you as a child, but I think they should be given to your daughter instead of her amom. Otherwise, there is the possibility of your gift being construed as "don't try to replace me" by her, and daughter may feel like she wants that to be a thing between you and her. I think a better photo gift would be of amom and daughter.

onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 2:04 AM on Apr. 29, 2009

• Not that i'm sayin' don't give childhood pictures of yourself, like blessed3times said they are great and are huge for your daughter, just not as a mother's day gift. that's all.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 2:12 AM on Apr. 29, 2009