How long can you avoid princesses?

My husband and I are totally wary of gender issues and want our kids to be able to be whoever they want to be. Our daughters wear dresses, and pink on occasion (lol), but we try to do things like buy them trucks along with tea sets, etc. Our daughter is 22 months, doesn't really watch tv (occasional Signing Time DVD). and doesn't get clothing or products with cartoon characters on them. In your opinion, what is the longest we'll be able to avoid the Disney Princesses, because this phenomenon really scares me. I've seen so many preschoolers totally obsessed! I'm not saying this stuff is evil or judging anyone at all for buying these things, but I do think some of the cultural messages through these stories/products, etc. are not good for girls. Any thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:06 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Everything in moderation.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 10:08 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I have a three year old and I avoid the "Princess" thing as well. But, I couldn't possibly control every influence in her life. We have family friends and their six year old is obsessed with Disney princesses and it has kind of rubbed off on my daughter. I don't think that there's anything super wrong with it....I just don't like how almost every princess sits around and waits for her prince to rescue her while many of her "intellectual" abilities are minimized. But, that's where my role as a mother comes in, fostering those non superficial qualities in my daughter. How long can you avoid it? I have no idea...they are everywhere! LOL
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 10:10 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• My dd wasn't really into that. I got her into puzzles and blocks and giant legos. she watched sesame street and went to the playground alot and got dirty. I called her Jessie bear so I think she thought she was a bear. Just don't make an issue of it.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 10:13 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I want to avoid the whole theme thing altogether I find cartoon themes really anonying. I guess if you don't want her to do the whole princess thing just don't buy that stuff for her.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 10:15 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• LOL - this was my BIGGEST FEAR when I was pregnant and I can't begin to tell you how thankful I was that I had a boy...who has come to love pink princesses and wants one for his 4th birthday party cake. I broke down and bought him a Barbie last month...I guess you can only avoid it for so long...and like writeon said, just don't make an issue of it.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:27 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• pre-k. or kindergarten at the very latest.
    Anonymous

• There is a really good book called "Growing a Girl". It deals with gender issues for equalist parents. I found it very helpful when dealing with these issues. Remember, you are raising an INDIVIDUAL and not a gender. So, you expose her to things and you respect her decisions. We never stressed pink. We would show her several things and she would choose, and at 3 (this weekend), she gravitates toward Orange. She likes to play race cars, but also likes to nurture her stuffed animals. I bought her a play kitchen that will be in my own kitchen because she enjoys baking and helping me cook. She also likes to play in dirt. CONTINUED BELOW
    kara_g.

Answer by kara_g. at 8:26 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I respect all of these things. Don't discount princesses. But when you read Sleeping Beauty say "that's silly that she waited for him. She could have just woken up!" THere are some stronger princesses too, like Pocohontas. Disney is wising up. Buy books about Amelia Earhart, etc. Also keep stong males in her life and show her she can make their choices too. Say things to her like "you're smart" "you're clever" "you are a good problem solver" and take note when other girls make positive decisions. "Lisa is a great guitarist!"
    kara_g.

• Before i had my DD, I said I am not letting her wear theme clothing and that sort of thing and I hated anything Disney. But I do let her wear princess pj's and she has all the movies but my mom bought them and they stay at her house. It is just another phase they go through. She was into Mickey & Minnie when she was little and now it is the Disney princesses and one day she will grow out of them so what is the big deal? My DD also loves trucks and playing in the dirt so i don't stress too much about it! She is very diverse!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• My girls never got into the princess deal. My oldest loved the Powerpuff girls and Elmo, and my baby loves Dora, Elmo, and Diego. I do have some neices who go coco fo coco puff over that stuff, but my sister buys into it. I guess it depends on how you choose to raise your child.
    ZarsMom

Answer by ZarsMom at 12:03 PM on Apr. 28, 2009