where do i take my daughter while i'm giving birth

my daughter is only one years old and i'm giving birth in acouple of months. I was told by a friend  that she cant be in the hospital because of germs...so what do  I do?

Michelle20727

Asked by Michelle20727 at 10:33 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You need to leave her with a friend or relative. She does not need to be in the hospital anyway.
    Anonymous

• YOu can go by yourself and your SO can watch the 1 year old
    you can find a sitter (start now)
    or you can take a Bradley Class and have her in the room with you (they can teach you and your SO how)
    Unless YOU are in the hospital for an INFECTIOUS REASON it is against the law for them to stop you from bringing her in... you do however need someone to be there for her care
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:38 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Isn't there like a baby hotel for babies for cases like this?
    Anonymous

• i would ask a close friend or family member to watch her. you will be in the hospital overnight and your SO may or may not be there just as long so you want her with someone she knows and trusts. she can visit in the hospital unless either she is sick, or the baby is more likely to catch something.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:40 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• All of my children where in the delivery rooms each and every time I gave birth. I don't know WHY anyone would tell you that you cannot have your daughter there if you so wish
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 11:01 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I would talk to your dr or midwife about the actual hospital policies, I've never heard of a child not being permitted for the birth of a sibling because of germs. I'm thinking your friend is mistaken or got bad information.

If you do have her there for the birth, have a friend or relative that she knows and trusts, whose sole job it is to care for her... this way she can be present for the birth if you want, or taken out if you or she doesn't want to be there. If you don't want her there, this person can care for her in the waiting area and/or take her home.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 11:03 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Find a babysitter or family member or friend to watch her. I would not want my child in the hospital or delivery room when I was giving birth. How would you care for her?

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:32 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I HAD A CLOSE FRIEND AND RELATIVE ON STANDBY..I DONT SUGGEST DAUGHTER BEING THERE JUST IN CASE OF ANY EMERGENCY..I HAD MY SON THERE RIGHT AFTER I DELIVERED..
    TAMMSTWINS

Answer by TAMMSTWINS at 11:41 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• you know, my mom came up with a good point today. hospitals should have day care while in labor & delivery. anyway, i'm 35 weeks pregnant and have an almost 17 month old.... luckily we have family nearby that will watch my daughter while I'm in labor and after I deliver my son I will have my in-law's bring my daughter to the hospital to visit.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 12:43 AM on Apr. 28, 2009