Buying a treadmill?

We've decided to buy a treadmill instead of a new computer (we weighed our priorities and getting more exercise trumped having more time online!) and I was wondering if anyone has any advice on what to look for, what are helpful features and what are useless gimmicks, what are relatively inexpensive but not cheaply made brands, etc. We've both used treadmills in the past, but we just got on what the gym had and used what was available; laying out money to buy one for our personal use is a different ball of wax!

Thanks!

Collinsky

Asked by Collinsky at 10:39 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Yea..make sure you are serious if you wanna buy a treadmill, i thought i just had to have one and i've probably used it 10 times in a year. I would rather go outside..wish i would have thought about it more. I guess if you do, maybe try and find a used one?? Otherwise we got ours at walmart, probably one of the top dollar ones and it works great.
    Ambie0526

Answer by Ambie0526 at 8:22 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• when buying one make sure it is electric because you might over look that feature and regret it later on
    Mommy2Mariah

Answer by Mommy2Mariah at 12:06 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I see treadmills and elliptical machines on freecycle around once a week. You can also try Craigslist.
    If you are just going to be walking, why not walk outside and buy the new computer?

Answer by rkoloms at 7:41 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Outside exercise isn't really working for me... I have four kids 6 and under and getting aerobic activity with them in tow has proven fruitless. Besides, I want to run, and the treadmill makes it easier for me to avoid shinsplints.

Our apt's fitness room isn't open during the times I can get to it, and I don't have time for a gym membership. I need the convenience of something available 24/7, that I don't have to leave my house and find childcare to use.

We probably are getting a used one, but wanted to know what to look for! :-)
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 6:25 PM on Apr. 30, 2009