How would you handle it if your child was told not to take his medicine prescribed for depression while on a five day visit with his father?

EiEiO

Asked by EiEiO at 10:42 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• He wouldn't be going back to visit his father because the father is guilty of medical negligence.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 10:44 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Is there any custody stuff going on? If so I would let the courts know.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 10:44 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I thought there were reports out that say depression meds given to teens can actually increase the tendency for suicide! Please check this out before continuing to give him this, but also know these type of meds should not be stopped abruptly.
    chaster

Answer by chaster at 10:52 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• He's neglecting his child therefore I would seek an attorney asap to change custody.
    Anonymous

• My cousin has a bi-polar stepson and his mother refuses to give him his medication when he visits and he is no longer allowed to visit her for that reason. It is neglect. That being said, I'd be FURIOUS!

And Anon is a MORON and probably is a poor parent herself.
    patticakez

Answer by patticakez at 11:21 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Anon 9:45pm, you are an IDIOT, Depression is NOT caused by poor parenting. I was diagnosised with depression as an adult, so how do you explain that one?

To OP: I wouldn't let my son back until the father talked to your sons counselor, meds for depression have to be taken everyday to continue working. I would call my attorney and have custody changed and for it to include that if the father doesn't give the meds for depression, he doesn't see his child unsupervised. I would consider that neglect. I am also sure you know the side effects of the meds and not all of the meds are the same. He also needs to be weaned off the meds, not just stop. That poor kid could have gone through withdrawl and be worse off.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:40 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I think you need to talk with the father and find out what the issue with the meds are. If the father has issues with HIS child being on medication you need to consider that and work with the other parent to come to an agreement that your child and both parents feel is good for the child. If dad is just being a douch then well, there are obviously bigger issues and your son needs to know he should take his medication if he needs it, he is a teenager after all and should be particularly responsible for his own health.

Now, that being said I would like to add depression medications aren't the safest drugs in the world. Hell on the back of the damn bottle it says can cause suicidal and homicidal tendencies. Every since person who has shot up a school in the last 10 years has been on an SSRI anti-depressant. I would never put my child on something like that ever.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Check in your custody agreement. It may state that the custodial parent makes the primary (non-emergency) medical decisions, and that the non-custodial parent must get permission to alter them. So you MIGHT be able to get him for violation of a court order as well as medical negligence.
    If not, your should go back to court & just claim medical negligence. It is irresponsible for the child's father to tell him not to take his medicine. Your son could very well go into withdrawls- here is a link to a good article about "discontinuation syndrome" regarding antidepressants. It is not for the father to say whether or not your son should take his medicine- this sould be done only under a doctor's care.

emslala

Answer by emslala at 1:26 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I as a NON-ANON (and NON Dumbf+ck) completely agree with this poster. There are many reasons that a child could be or not be on DRUGS (legal but still drugs)! What is the Dad doing differently than Mom. How long has child been on meds...does Dad understand the drug?.. Does the child's personality change with Dad? So many questions?! IF I knew all the answers I could make a decision..but they were not included here. Many children are over medicated (not against the OP) because DR and pharmacies make money that way. $ is important. Most parents want what is best for their kids. Until Mom and Dad put the child first, the child will not be getting the best care and that could be the root of all his issues.

--No offense intended. But it would seem that IF both parties wanted the best for the child there would be more co- parenting.

malindasb

Answer by malindasb at 1:31 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• As another option, you might want to get your son's doctor to call his father. He may listen to someone who is a medical professional. Also, if he states that he is refusing to give your son his medicine, you have a witness if you decide to go to court.
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 1:31 AM on Apr. 28, 2009