For those of you that had a pretty decent size baby shower..

What were some items that you totally thought you'd end up getting, but didn't? I ask this because my shower is going to be kinda late - I'm due July 22 and my shower is June 20th. That doesn't give me a lot of time to get the stuff that I will still need. I'm wondering if there's a trend in items that people tend NOT to get. If so, these are the things maybe I should pick up myself. Thanks everyone! Any help to the crazy worrying pregnant lady is always appreciated!!!!

LittleMonster22

Asked by LittleMonster22 at 10:55 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I didn't get the bassinet I needed. They are expensive!
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 10:56 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• hmmm this can be a hard one because at my first baby shower I got a ton of diapers, washes, lotions, clothes, towels, wash cloths and so forth. I got a ton of everything. Now, for my second child, I didnt get much at all. I did however buy most the stuff myself bc I didnt expect a shower and my mother through one anyways
    SweetKYmom

Answer by SweetKYmom at 10:57 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I mostly received clothes.
    Anonymous

• I also didn't get the car seat.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 10:58 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I would start setting aside money to buy the things that you don't get but still want. And I would wait to buy anything until after the shower.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 10:58 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• What people WILL get you more than you could ever want is: blankets (my son has at least 30), diaper cream, lotion, baby wash and clothes. Do not register for those things or you'll get twice as much lol.

Family bought me the more expensive items (the crib, the pack-n-play, the stroller/carrier/carseat combo, the entire room decor/linens set etc.). The most friends and non-immediate family members spent per item was $100 (my bassinett and swing were purchased by friends). Most everyone else spent $25-$50. Using that price range while keeping in mind the amount of people that are invited, you can kinda guess how much will get purchased off of the registry.

Not one person bought me a breast feeding supply. I had to buy all of my pads, storage stuffs and pump myself. I guess that was too personal for people?
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:01 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• And no one bought us the high chair. People tend to like to get the stuff that they either a.) think is cute b.) have a personal connection with or have used themselves and c.) what the baby can use right NOW (that's a huge one).

We got very few diapers.

(all of this was out of three med-large showers)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:03 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I was expecting a bath set like shampoo, lotion, ect. also was wanting some pacifiers. I knew id be getting clothes and diapers but wasnt expecting that to be ALL i was getting; mostly clothes i have so many clothes it could kill a horse
    Breezy1988

Answer by Breezy1988 at 11:28 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I got so many clothes, that my son didn't need any for about 6 months!!! I pretty much got everything that I needed and some stuff I didn't. There were about 60 people at my shower. I have a HUGE family.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:34 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I actually got everything I needed. I realize now that some of the things I *needed* were just a waste of money. I got way more clothes than he could even wear, and a bunch of little things that were pointless. I guess one thing that I didn't get was a nice hospital grade breast pump.
    Lilbeamercomin

Answer by Lilbeamercomin at 11:34 PM on Apr. 27, 2009