Will I get unemployment benefits?

Quick question, with a little background info first:
Back in 07 I selected my current job for 3 reasons- 1 only required to work two weekend days, 2 non commission, 3 non salesperson based. Over the past year, due to economic conditions, I have begun to 'sell' for the company (even being referred to as a sales person now) am getting paid commission, and have increased my weekends worked by 50%. Today, my boss told me that I must work almost every weekend (and work at a new job site over an hour away) or lose my job. I am also four months pregnant, so I am worried that if I say no, they will fire me and I won't be able to find another job. If I say no, and they fire me, will the unemployment office look at it as if I quit because I just wasn't willing to conform to the new conditions? Could I collect benefits until I find a job after the baby is born? ANY help (informed help) would be very much appreciated!
THANKS!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:01 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Money & Work

• You can file in any event. Yes, it's possinle you won't be able to collect but that's pretty much always a possibility except in a layoff.

I'd consider sucking it up till you can take pregnancy leave on disability, which will usually pay more than unemployment. You can keep looking for a new job at the same time.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:51 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I am going to agree with the PP. I would suck it up until you go out on maternity leave. First I would try talking with the boss and without flat out saying "no" see if there are any other options. If not, then suck it up for the next few months. In the meantime sock away as much money as you can because you may not be able to collect unemployment and you may not be able to find another job. Good luck!
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:09 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• Look at the benefit determination guide for Unemployment Insurance. I am sure it's online. Also, look at employment law. Employers will say the "fire" word just to scare you, but it really comes down to employment law. If it's not in your job description to do these new things (over an hour away). I would say YES. But, you really need to dig into the laws and the benefits determination guide first. Be prepared, it'll take a few hours of researching.
    BingsMommy

Answer by BingsMommy at 12:01 PM on Apr. 28, 2009

• You really need to check with your state's department of labor; the laws vary by state.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:19 PM on Apr. 28, 2009