4 month old and hitting when mad....can I stop it this early?

She swings her arms all over normally, but when she gets mad...well lets say a bit pissed, she will hit everyone who isn't mommy.....is it too early to stop her and if not how

rowdy24

Asked by rowdy24 at 11:03 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 2 (-1 Credits)
  • I don't think she is hitting because she is mad and wants to hurt someone. My son has horriffic colic and when he gets frustrated he scratches the crap out of my face, honestly so bad that there have been times my mom thought my husband was beating me because of the number my son did on my face. I would simply say in a very calm and low voice "I understand you are upset but we don't hit" the less of a response they get from you the sooner they will move on to a different manipulation tactic but even at 4 months her feelings need to be validated and as she gets older you can teach her more appropriate ways to express herself. But for now just validate how she feels tell her hitting isnt okay teach her "nice touch" (hold her hand in yours and gently stroke your face) and if necessary gently restrain her hands from hitting. Get them to do something else like patty cake or play with her favorite toy. At this age cont
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 11:20 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• you can tell her "no" and have her placed back in her car seat or whatever if she will no co operate with others and you can't attend to her for the time but it's probably separation and stranger anxiety at 4 mo there is still the thought of a symbiotic relationship for a while longer
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 11:07 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• My 5 month old hits but I honestly do not think he's hitting on purpose. I think he's swinging his arms in anger because he's learning to use them purposefully now but I do not think he equates "I'm hitting, I'm meaning to swing at you, hit you and cause pain" with his arm swinging. If your 4 month old has enough hand-eye coordination to meaningfully hit someone out of anger, I am impressed (I'm not being sarcastic).

I don't know what to tell you honestly. At 4 months, they don't really have the ability to know right from wrong. They're just beginning to learn "cause-effect" (if I hit the table, it makes a noise. "hitting is bad" come later).
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:07 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• She's 4 months SHe dont know Omg
    Anonymous

• how are you going to give a pissy answer to an honest question. some poeple just have concerns.....first time mom thing...just making sure i'm doing everything I can. I don't understand y peopel get on here to give responses like that......Y even bother? To make people feel stupid?
    rowdy24

Answer by rowdy24 at 11:12 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• dioscipline is about redirection not consequences. So redirect her attention to something more pleasant... or a nap!
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 11:21 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• My baby does that. She is 6 months old. I just gently hold her arm and say We don't hit. I know she doesn't know what she is doing, thats why I am teaching her. Start young I say!
    MILFInProgress

Answer by MILFInProgress at 11:36 PM on Apr. 27, 2009