shave for a c-section?

I am just curious , i have had two normal deliveries, and my sister just had her baby girl and she had a c -section, she told me that she had to shave down there for her procedure . Is that true?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:29 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• They shave part of it. They have to cut pretty low and can't have hair in the way. I had an emergency c-section and was cut up and down so that could be the reason too.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:30 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• No, they shave your pubic hair line before surgery.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 11:30 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Yes, actually the nurse did for me before proceedure. Sanitary reasons.
    Anonymous

• yes they shave you if you aren't shaved yourself. not everything, just the top of the hairline. the incision for the c-sec is only about 1/2 an inch away from the hair
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:31 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• Actually, new studies suggest not to shave. It is suggested that the OR staff use surgical clippers. This decreases the liklihood of infection. I assume this would be the standard practice for all hospitals.
    chaster

Answer by chaster at 11:33 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I had a Csection, But i'm not sure. I was already shaved :) Now thats a task lemme tell ya. 9 months pregnant and bare as could be!!! lol.
    beingamomrocks1

Answer by beingamomrocks1 at 11:33 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• with both of my kids i shaved down there just because i didnt want to have to deal with the hair when i was trying to clean myself and blood and all the other nasty stuff that happens after a baby. but i have vaginal. If you can reach and feel comfortable doing it i would say go ahead otherwise let the RN do it for you. This time around i dont think i am going to be able to reach i am bigger now at 22 weeks then i was a 40 weeks with my single babies,.........
    twinsnseptember

Answer by twinsnseptember at 12:16 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• They shaved me part of the way. The lady who did it told me I would be cussing her name in a week or so. She was right.
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 12:17 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I had a c section about almost 5 years ago with my son, and the nurse did come in and shave me. I believe that they do it so the hair will not be in the way. Now that I am all healed the hair is not in the way of my scar, but I am going to be having another c section with this baby in October, but this time I think I will let hubby shave me before we go in.
    Married2daBest

Answer by Married2daBest at 11:19 AM on Apr. 28, 2009