3 & 4 year old preschool curriculum?

My son is finishing up his first year of preschool. He is 3 and will turn 4 on Oct 15th...because of the school cutoff date he will have 2 more years of preschool. I am afraid that he is going to get bored. I like the school he attended this year, it was a good place to start, but I looked at the 4 year old curriculum and they are only going to be beginning to look at the alphabet! My son is a little advanced and I truly think he can do everything listed for next year - and more...just looking to see what other kids are doing at their preschool...My husband wants him to switch schools and find a place that will "challenge" him more....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:36 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would look into a monosoury school (sp?) they let the children move at their own pace, could be good for you LO.
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 11:38 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I think that kids should learn at their own pace,maybe he is right or maybe he is doing so well because he is there?
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 11:39 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• If you have ever thought about homeschooling? There are some great online "public" schools that might suit your needs, and they may let you start your son next fall instead of having him wait another 2 years.
    grahamom

Answer by grahamom at 12:28 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• There are great workbooks that you can use at home to keep his brain stimulated and learning; we love the ones from The Learning Company (great software, too) .Also, private schools may have a later cutoff.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:51 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I understand about him being able to do the stuff and wanting him to be challenged. But keep in mind, too, that preschool is also about prepping them for regular school in other ways. Prepping them for following directions, sitting still, cooperating with others and being patient, in a more controlled, classroom-like environment. It's not just about the academics of it. But, if you think he will be bored, check out other options. Check out other schools or daycares in your area, see what they are teaching. You can work with him at home, too. Check with your local...around here they call it Childhood Development Services. They help people find daycares and get assistance, and they know all the daycares in the area, what they teach, how they teach it, what "extras" they have, to help you find a really good place for him. Good luck!
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:29 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I agree. Try looking into a Montessori School. The 3 year old I nanny for is going to one, he is working on time and addition at 3!!!!
    luvsam17

Answer by luvsam17 at 7:36 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• wow! just now starting the alphabet? my dd's class started this year &she's only 2!!!! i hope you find a better school for him
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 8:28 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• My son is 5 in November and also misses the cut off. He's a montessori preschool which has been amazing for him. He's writing and starting to read. I'm really happy he's able to do all that stuff when he's ready instead of having to wait. And yet, I think it's great he has the time to mature in preschool. You might consider a montessori program in your area. Good luck!
    Annymous

Answer by Annymous at 8:41 AM on Apr. 28, 2009