• In the Spotlight:

Second baby shower?

We are expecting our second baby in december and we currently have a 14 month old so the babies will be approx. 21 months apart. I was just wondering what the etiquette(spelling?) is on baby showers? Do you only have one if they are different sexes or does it not matter?

Please explain your opinion.

Sorry if this is a dumb question haha!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:51 PM on Apr. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I say you can have as many showers as you want as long as someone has it for you and you don't have a shower for yourself. That is tacky and a definite etiquette no-no.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 11:55 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• I had one for each of mine, boy and girl, there is nothing wrong with having two.
    Anonymous

• i think if someone wants to throw you one, and your friends and family don't have a problem with it, than no biggie. if you are throwing one for yourself, that is a bit over the line to me, especially with them being soo close in age. if someone wants to throw you one let them, otherwise i say if someone asks if you need anything tell them what you need and hope you get it.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:56 PM on Apr. 27, 2009

• In my opinion you typically have a baby shower to receive things that you don't have and that you need for baby. So it's likely to have another shower for a different sex baby. There is nothing wrong with having a small shower for a same sex baby as well, people love buying baby stuff. You can make it a little different by having everyone bring a book for baby or everyone can decorate a onesie for the new baby to where as they get older.
    Anonymous

• I don't get that. I don't think it's fair to not have a baby shower to celebrate the birth of a baby just because they're not the first born. Are they not just as special? Do they not need the same things? If someone offers to throw one for you...go for it. That baby's birth should be celebrated too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I wanted one, but, no one threw us one...so, i'm 35 weeks pregnant with my second (a boy), my first is a girl who will be 17 months old on Friday. We will just have a celebration of his birth party with family...plus, we have so much stuff from our baby girl, that we will just use for our baby boy and also we have relatives that will give us hamidowns.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 12:30 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• i dont think you should expect one but do what you want .
    some may think it greedy if the babies are the same sex.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:24 AM on Apr. 28, 2009

• I didn't plan any of them, but we are expecting our first child and we had 4 baby showers. One for my side of the family, my husbands family , our chruch, and my place of work. I really don't think it matters. If you have someone who will or insists that they have a baby shower for you, I say let them. It's all very usefull. We have a lady at work that had a baby before, so we had a "diaper shower" for her, because she really didn't need anything else. Although, some people did bring some other stuff, but she shouldn't have to buy diapers for a few months.
    gina_langford

Answer by gina_langford at 8:07 AM on Apr. 28, 2009